11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 9:42 AM by tdiener

Language Arts Resources

Okay Glen, we science teachers have to share the wealth. We can not forget about the other subjects out there!

I tried to find a discussion regarding Language Arts resources, but did not find one, so hopefully this can be a starting point.

I recently found a site outlining The Amanda Project.  This is a site geared for girls 13 and up that allows them to create a character and participate in a collaborative writing project. I am still researching it, but am trying to get my collaborative 5th grade project teachers to participate in it. I have also sent the information to the "Great Smoke" in hopes that she will jump on it as well.

The first book is entitled The Amanda Project: 

Callie Leary has exactly one thing, and one thing only, in common  with Nia Rivera and Hal Bennett: They were each chosen by Amanda to be  her guide. When Amanda arrived at Endeavor High, she told Callie she  moves around a lot and always picks one person to help her navigate the  choppy waters of a new school. Why did Amanda lie?

Following a course that they suspect Amanda deliberately plotted,  Callie, Nia, and Hal piece together some cryptic clues. But they find  more questions that answers and quickly realize that before they can  figure out what happened to Amanda—the girl who changed their  lives—they'll need to solve the most important mystery of all: WHO IS AMANDA VALENTINO?

Has anyone heard of this project? The project is based on a series of novels which will total 8 all together. This looks like an excellent way to get girls interested in reading and writing. There is a teacher/librarian kit that contains discussion questions, activities, downloads etc. (it would not let me attach it, sorry)

Please add to this list of Language Arts resources as you find them.