31 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 5:52 AM by catlihei

What technology tip do you have?

glen_w

My principal is asking all teachers to step up and learn, then use technology appropriately in their classrooms. We have a school department chair meeting twice a month. At each of these meetings, I have been tasked with a 1 to 5 minute technology training. The challenge here is having more than two teachers in that meeting who do not bring their laptop to the meeting. Knowing I have the principal's support makes it so much easier to share these short trainings.

At the first meeting I showed Wordle and explained how I use it. I showed how I copied my state core and from Wordle determined what was most important. I then shared how I use it with student notes. Several department chairs were very excited about the training. Others still had the "try to teach me" look on their face.

ILO_Wordle.jpg

I'm looking for help from my friends at Intel Teach. If you had only 1 to 5 minutes to share a technology tip, what would you consider most important? I am looking for more ideas that will encourage all teachers (despite different ability levels) to implement technology with their students.

• Re: What technology tip do you have?

LOVE LOVE LOVE this question ....5 min ...that can go by sooooo fast! We have 2 - 30 min PLC meetings by subj each week with a 90 min tech pd every month. It is so great to have a "captive" audience! I would focus on any school/district purchased resources. My district has paid accounts for Noodle Tools, World Book, ABC Clio, Discovery and Gale and my school has a paid account with Glogster. I am always amazed at how many teachers are not using these resources! We all know that if the resources are not used then they may not be purchased again. I plan on sharing these resources at my PLC meetings in tiny chucks to encourage use in the library.

I also think it would be fun to do a 5 min on Thinkfinity or Intel Tools. You could also set up a computer with Skype and then leave the room and skype yourself (or an admin) in the room to discuss skype classroom uses...LOVE it!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              glen_w

Susan,

My district does not have ANY purchased items like this. The closest I can go to District purchased software will be training on how to use the Student Information System. I'm not sure I want to spend a LOT of time on that. I, however, did one training where I showed how to use the SIS to create a graph and analyze student performance. I want to go beyond how to enter grades .

Thinkfinity is great! and Resourceful! you might like Prezi, if you haven't heard of it already. Watch out though, the presentation can make you dizzy...

glen_w

Thinkfinity and Prezi are both excellent ideas. Do you have any suggestions on how to teach either in five minutes or less? I know I can show them in that kind of time - I'm wondering how to help teachers feel like they can use the tools in that kind of time. I'll have to think on this one.

Wow, 1 to 5 minutes for Thinkfinity is pretty good! It takes me longer just to name the partners. I just participated in a webinar today on the new EdSitement website. So much is changing in many of the websites. I was please to see that some of the lessons/resources are in Spainish as well as English. There is an area on the website now called Database and gaming and there is a game called Mission US that looks interesting.

glen_w

I can't say that I have successfully shared Thinkfinity in 5 minutes. I'm wondering how I could do it justice in that amount of time. I am open to suggestions as I would like to help teachers at my school recognize the power of this resource.

Who can provide me with an idea on how to share Thinkfinity in 5 minutes or less?

I will be happy to answer since I started this conversation....Can you show all of Thinkfinity in 5 min...no. I maybe CRAZY but not that crazy. I come from a school with weekly PD so in my mind I see starting out with one partner like read, write and think and showing one classroom resource like an interactive or a lesson plan in the 5 min. You would then build up showing small snipits from one partner at other 5 min demos. If your group is ELA then read, write and think might be your best bet but maybe if it is math then illuminations.

If I were sitting in a PD and the trainer gave me a handout with all the partners and a blurb on each and the types of resources I could find (interactives, lessons etc) then they showed me an interactive like All Systems Go (in 5 min) then I would definitely take notice of this and check it out to see what else is on the site (on my own) or anxiously await my next 5 min demo.

When I first saw this discussion I was excited about what resources may be shared.  I was not familiar with Thinkfinity.  I just took the past 30 minutes browsing through the site.  I truly see no way to truly do this resource justice in only 5 minutes!  That said, I like the idea of highlighting individual chunks.  Pick one resource or one interactive activity to highlight each week.  Thanks so much for sharing the resource!

glen_w

Brent,

I know why you probably got excited about Thinkfinity. There are a LOT of resources on this site that benefit students and teachers. I also do not think it is possible to do justice to the entire site in five minutes. Susan's idea of presenting one small idea from Thinkfinity may be the best way to share the plethora of information with my teachers. I appreciate your suggestion of selecting one concept/activity and highlighting it each week.

glen_w

Susan,

Out of the fifteen people who attend these meetings, there are three who are like you. They would take the five-minute blurb and begin to try to learn it on their own. The rest of the people are still in the "spoon feed me" stage. Rarely do they attempt to use any technology they have not had significant training on. Several of these people had a full day's training on our new Student Information System - they came back to the school and began asking others how to use the system. The meeting includes all subject areas - but I like the concept of providing them with material that could be used with students. Especially when I know our principal has indicated he expects these teachers to become technology leaders and not just ask others for help. Thanks for the idea on what might be good to focus on in 5 minutes or less.

Only 3 Susans in the group...What? Everyone should have at least 5! LOL I thought of you today Glen since I was in a jam for a very quick tech lesson for some students in the digital media club. I used http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/ and very quickly scanned the story ideas link. I was so excited to find a bullying prompt since we just concluded cyber bully week. I easily whipped this out in 5 min and they had the rest of the club time to be creative. The funny thing was that after I starting reading the comics I had to add a rule - all comics must have a nice ending....some of the story lines were VERY interesting esp with the provided characters. It is amazing what trouble a frog and rat can get into...LOL! I know many teachers have used this site but the teacher resources included are really great and worth sharing.

glen_w

ROFLOL - 5 Susans in a group ... I'm not sure many people could handle a group like that. (I guess it would require a large quantity of Black Coke .) You made me smile as I'm sure your thinking about me was due to this discussion. If so - the discussion is even better than I hoped for. Knowing someone else finds the discussion useful is a WIN in my book!

I do not think any of my school's Language Arts teachers have used MakeBeliefsComix before. Perhaps I should include it in an upcoming 5 minute tip.

dgoodman_1958

In our weekly grade level horizontal meetings I do a Tech 10 where I highlight a resource.  I usually give a quick demo and then show examples of educational uses.  Teachers have to see examples.  I then have a short brainstorming activity where I get them talking about their curriculum and how they could use it. I then follow up with 1-on-1 or an afternoon workshop for those wanting more.  What I have found, is that a few will take it and immediately begin to explore. 

Some I have done are:  fur.ly, LiveBinders, pbworks, google forms, voki, voicethread, glogster, diigo, wordle, spicynodes, prezi, etc.  I've also used this time to share tips and strategies for using SMART Notebook, SMART Response, Excel, etc. 

I'm getting ready to take a train-the-trainer course on Thinkfinity, one I had to drop last October because my workload was too much at that time.  I hope to be able to share some of those resources here in the community.  I also plan to create a Moodle course for my district on this when I'm finished.           

glen_w

Deborah,

Thanks for some excellent ideas on technology presentations. With modification, I can see changing your 10 minutes into 5 minute trainings. I am excited when anyone walks away wanting to have students complete the activities. My disappointment is wanting to engage every teacher so all students are given more choices.

catlihei

I have introduced TodaysMeet in a short period of time.  It literally takes about 30 seconds to set up and once I give a short description of a backchannel chat, teachers come up with their own ways to integrate it into their own instruction.  I used this at the beginning of all of my grade level trainings (3rd - 8th grade) and they all loved it!

julesfischy

Glen - you have gotten some pretty amazing suggestions for your tips.  But to me it seems you left off an obvious one

Intel Teachers Engage - the community! 

A quick overview of the community could be done in 5 minutes.

The community is not something that they would use with students but if you are teaching them a new tool such as LinoIt (or any others) and they were having a hard time to see how that fit in their content area they could quickly start a discussion in the community and have plenty of ideas from all of our members. 

Or another suggestion is for you to create a tech-tip group- that way if anyone misses your presentation they can see any resources you shared in your group and ask you any questions.

Not sure if this really a technology tip but I recently along with my colleague Rozie entered the 3 day 3 minute video contest.   Wasn't sure how it would come out but we spent a good portion of our evening hour well into close to midnight completing it to have ready for submission the next day.  This isn't actually about a type of technology but be sure you no music sampling copyright laws before infusing any video or media into your own videos.  The 3 minute video was a blast to create but the editing, cutting and pasting in of the video segments and music recordings was very time consuming.  We even slipped in a wordle to show off our technoscientist skills gained.  Needles to say, even  with the late hour of developing the video I would totally due it again. Keep sending in your 2.0 finds because they really make a difference when creating engaging, yet lasting memories for our students.  P.S. If you haven't heard, WE WERE RUNNER UPS!!!

glen_w

Dee,

Congratulations on coming in Runner-up in the competition. I can easily imagine how the time flew by as you worked on the 3 minute video project. During class, I've seen students look at the clock and ask "where did the time go?" In many cases, these students worked for the entire period on their project. When they are engaged with technology and content, they truly lose track of time.

Perhaps I can come up with a video Technology Tip (in addition to a reminder about copyright.) Thanks so much for reminding us of the need to follow copyright in doing projects like this.

That would be great to have a video Technology Tip.  I actually had to email Vanessa regarding the music sampling we did for that video. I am sure she didn't mind and, she was able to get back to me quickly but having that info readily available would make it easier.  If you decide to do that, it would be awesome then, I would just have to email someone to tell me where it would be posted. WOW, those senior moments!  Thanks for the congrats.

glen_w

Fun Technology Tip update!

I shared Prezi with my principal in a 5 minute training. It was a one-on-one event and I thought it went well. Little did I know how well it went. He used Prezi to share his presentation with the staff! The people I sat near kept saying "how is he doing that?" At the end of his presentation, he said "the program I used is called 'Prezi' and Glen showed me how to create it in 5 minutes. If you want to learn how to use that tool, see Glen!"

Priceless (IMHO)!

catlihei

Glen,

Another tool that I've been able to share in a short time is Animoto.  If I just need to share with them the 3 steps to create a video along with an example I can easily do this in 5 minutes.The teachers love it because the kids can focus on more of the content than the bells and whistles because Animoto does all of that for them.  Of course learning the skills to edit a video is important too but sometimes Animoto can do the trick for specific projects.  Our students have created some fantastic book trailers using Animoto.