11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2011 3:58 PM by glen_w

Cloud Computing

With all of the sites available, what is your favorite site to use with your students? What is your favorite personal site?

• Re: Cloud Computing

I agree! I would love some suggestions as I feel it can be a bit overwhelming looking at all the options that are available.  

julesfischy

I have to say that I am intreagued by what resoruces this discussion might produce.  I do know that in talking with some educators they are still trying to wrap- their heads about all the learning “in the cloud”  So I thought sharing a few resources might engage a few others to share their thoughts - 

I then have to say the site that I use the most is Google. From Google Docs - creating forms to collaborating on documents it meets the needs that I have with my university students or Google Calendar – which can be easily shared with others. I take advantage of all that they have to offer.  The best part for me is that with one login I can go from collaborating with colleagues to collaborating with students to collaborating with the community in volunteer roles with Girl Scouts and High School Booster Clubs.  I like how cloud computing has streamlined interactions. 

I must agree that Google has quite a suite of cloud based computing solutions. I just found picnik this past weekend.  It works pretty well and is relatively user friendly.  Are there any others that can compete with Google's cloud computing solutions?

glen_w

Like Julia, I really like Google's offerings. My district is slowly rolling out Google Apps.  I was invited to be an early adopter and provide feedback. Unfortunately, in six months we are still in beta mode (no new teachers have been added nor are students able to participate yet.) I see so many opportunities for collaboration for my students that I am disappointed we are not further along yet.

There are several teachers at my school who are also beta adopters. We have done a LOT of work together and are using many of the options on a regular basis. I find we use Google Docs for more now than we were using Word or Excel previously! I am so grateful for the power of collaboration.

Glen,

We have also just begun rolling out Google in our district. It is a battle with some. Comments like, "What was wrong with what we had?" I guess everyone will eventually settle down an get used to it.  I can only hope!!

glen_w

Peggy,

I agree there are many who wonder what was wrong with the previous software used. At a science training I completed in October participants submitted electronic copies of a lesson, lab, or activity. I was not really surprised to get two submissions that were in WordPerfect format. Our district was using WordPerfect about 10 years ago. I guess some people really do have a difficult time with change .

Julia-

Thanks for the links. Yes, I'd have to agree that Google Apps is by far, in my opinion the best right now. It is fairly easy to use and there are templates, help, tutorials, etc. shared to help people get started all over the place. I read the article on the 5 Cloud Computing Sites You Need to Know. The other one that I have been using for at least 3 years now is Picnik. I love it. Does so many cool things.

dgoodman_1958

Peggy,

Cloud Computing is the new buzz word for us as we move more in that direction.  We had such a hard time explaining this to our teachers.  I found a video that describes it pretty well.

To answer your question about a favorite site I use with students, I'd have to say pbworks.  The user friendly design makes it easy to use with 3rd through 5th grade.  I can upload files such as documents, images and video.  I can embed google forms to get feedback and to administer a variety of surveys and/or quizzes.

Personally, I love google docs.  I can collaboratively work on a document or presentation with others without meeting face to face.  In addition to google docs, I often use Skype to pull it all together.   

Deborah,

Nice video. Thanks for sharing with us. I haven't really looked in to pbworks..but I will. We have recently begun rolling out Google Apps in out district and have made the switch to gmail. I am working with small groups of teachers to sort of be my ambassadors and help the rest of the teachers embrace the change. Slow process, but in time, I think they will find this to be a wonderful choice. I particularly like the collaborating in real time feature, and the fact that the teachers can create quizes and actually have them graded in Google Docs.