23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 6:11 PM by glen_w

Today's Find

holmesg

While exploring the internet planning for professional development, I happened upon information on Google App Marketplace.  The Google Apps Marketplace offers products and services designed for Google users,   including installable apps that integrate directly with Google Apps. (These resources do not have to been used strictly with google). While in the marketplace, I clicked on the education link and discovered a variety of resources that could be aligned with the Common Core.  There were lots of interactive tools for all grade levels.  I was also able to visit the web sites for many of the apps mentioned and use the resources online with students.  The Google Apps Marketplace(http://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/) is my find for the day.  What new resource did you find today to add to your toolkit?

• 50 Ways to use Google in the Classroom
          vkajones

Good find Gail. I'm actually at the TCEA conference attending a Google Academy.

Here is a good presentation on 50 Ways to use Google in the Classroom.

Vanessa

• Google Squared
              vkajones

How cool is this...go to googlesquared.  Type in presidents and then click on square it.  There is more, I'll share later.

Vanessa

• Re: Google Squared
                  glen_w

Vanessa,

I love using Google Squared. In science I find great squares when I enter "history of the atom" or "parts of the cell" or "newton's laws of motion." As a gmail account member, I like how easily I can "export the square to a Google Spreadsheet. 

I have Google Squared on my list of sites to share with Utah Science teachers this Friday at our Annual Conference. I'm interested in hearing other "squares" teachers and students are using in the classroom.

holmesg

Vanessa,

What a great way to find resources.  Google has so many great tools.  It would be great if we could do a webinar on google tools.

erroth

I wasn't able to see this presentation. Thanks for posting it. Googlesquared is cool.

glen_w

Eric,

I showed Google Squared as part of a presentation at our annual Science Teacher conference yesterday. I had new teachers, preservice teachers, and experienced teachers all SO excited about how this tool worked. One teacher tried "metamorphic rock" and exclaimed very loudly "DO YOU know how long I searched for this information yesterday? I am so excited about what this tool can do for me and my students!" I was pleased at his enthusiasm and quick grasp of how he could use it with his students.

Has anyone else experienced teachers "catching on" to the power of this tool?

erroth

I'll be sure to share it with my colleagues. Of course, google has a ton of excellent tools.

glen_w

I look forward to you sharing how your colleagues like Google Squared. As you mentioned, it is but ONE of Google's powerful tools. As much as I enjoy Google Squared, I probably use Google Forms and Google Spreadsheets almost twice as often as Google Squared. I hope Vanessa is able to share some excellent information on Google Tools in the webinar she is planning.

• Re: Today's Find

Here is a link to a Common Core Virtual Conference

Feb. 22-25th Pearson Group is sponsoring it.

http://commoncore.pearsoned.com/index.cfm?locator=PS1324

The events are during the day 10 am EST until about 3 pm.

So you’re living in “the cloud”:

If  an 18-wheel truck comes roaring down the road and crushes your laptop  to bits, all is not lost. You just find another Internet-connected  device and get back to working with all that vital information you so  smartly saved online.

Google is more advance than any other plateform...

Hope you will find wonders over there...

Warm Regards

Kamlesh Joshi

vkajones

This great pyramid shows how some of the software programs fit into Blooms Taxonomy.

http://www.lex5.k12.sc.us/webpages/nfinelli/files/bloom%20pyramid.jpg

Vanessa

glen_w

Vanessa,

I like the visual Blooms. I think it helps visual learners understand quickly how and where web 2.0 tools might be implemented in the different levels of Blooms Taxonomy.

I have often referred teachers to the Bloom's Taxonomy - Learning In Action image. I like the relationship moving out from a level of Bloom's Taxonomic levels to student products. I also find it helpful for teachers who decide on their product before they consider what level of Bloom's Taxonomy that product fits into.

http://www.indg.in/primary-education/teacherscorner/Blooms_rose_svg.png

What other images of Bloom's Taxonomy do you find helpful for teachers?

NaomiHarm

Since their is theme of Google running through this thread, and since I am working onmy Google Certification and taking test 4/6 today.....I thought I would add a "technology gem" to the list of the latest Digital Literacy Tour: http://www.google.com/educators/digitalliteracy.html Google and iKeepSafe have teamed up and developed a curriculum to assist educators with modeling to students how to be a responsible online citizen. This site has extensive resources on internet safety for teachers to use  with students. The information is upbeat, and, most importantly,  current. What you will find here teaches students how to safely use all  types of social media and YouTube, how to be a good digital citizen, and  how to evaluate a website. There are three “workshops” with videos,  lesson plans, handouts for students, and a slide show presentation to  accompany the lesson. Everything is put together for you, so take a  look! An added bonus to looking at this site, is that on the left you  will find links to other google sites for educators.

This content will fgreatly assist me with our Spring digital citizenship efforts in the Midwest.

Naomi

NaomiHarm

Google Demo Slam provides a virtual stage for “show and tell” demos of anything  “tech-y,” particularly any tool created by Google. It is like a how-to  for friends, classmates, family, and anyone who is inclined to watch you  slam and push the limits of technology and imagination to teach how to  use cool new programs, gadgets, and the ever-emerging broad range of  Google tools. Although this particular website is for a Demo Slam  contest sponsored by Google and open to “slammers” 18 years and older,  the broader concept is worthy of exploring with all students as a  motivational, creative, and purposeful computer literacy/language arts  activity that involves so many of the standards for listening, thinking,  speaking, and computer literacy. What a great way to spread the word  about technology, help others learn, and become a master/expert yourself  while having a lot of fun doing it!

http://demoslam.com/

Naomi

holmesg

If you are looking for a good resource that focuses on mastery learning; curriculum mapping, minute by minute assessment, reteaching activities that are aligned to the state standards, then you might want to check out BrainHoney. It is a free online personalized learning platform that can be used to supplement instruction and report student progress. You can create curriculum maps that are aligned to state standards, track and report daily student progress and mastery of the state standards. Check it out at http://brainhoney.com.

vkajones

Here's another neat Bloom graphic organizer from iLearn Technology. Scroll down to see the page to see the digital tools

Technology. Scroll down the page to see the digital tools.

http://ilearntechnology.com/?p=2973

http://ilearntechnology.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Screen-shot-2010-08-31-at-11.36.54-AM.png

glen_w

Vanessa,

I think the simplicity of this Bloom's Taxonomy diagram might be helpful to my Middle School students. The diagram made me reflect if I've ever consciously taught my students about Bloom's Taxonomy and Higher Order Thinking. I think we've discussed deeper thinking and higher order thinking, but I do not recall reviewing Bloom's Taxonomy with them. Has anyone explicitly taught Bloom's Taxonomy to Middle School students? I'm hoping to get feedback on how this might have gone for others before I start on my own.

I came across a couple Bloom's posters a few weeks ago.  They are a student perspective and the elementary one is a butterfly.

http://blog.learningtoday.com/blog/bid/22740/Bloom-s-Taxonomy-Poster-for-Elementary-Teachers

http://blog.learningtoday.com/blog/bid/23376/Blooming-Orange-Bloom-s-Taxonomy-Helpful-Verbs-Poster

I tried to upload them as an attachment and it told me I had "Illegal characters" and wouldn't upload. I never got that message before.

glen_w

JoAnn,

Excellent Posters of Bloom's Taxonomy. I can see how elementary students would enjoy the Butterfly poster. Despite not showing the "descriptive verbs" associated with Bloom's Taxonomy, the poster implies movement towards deeper levels of thinking.

The Blooming Orange poster shows the relationship of Bloom's Taxonomy going in the reverse direction of what I have normally seen. This version might work with my Middle School students. Not sure how I can/should introduce the concept yet ... my brain is thinking of options right now.

Have you or anyone else printed either poster and shared them with students?