7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 6:20 PM by glen_w

Activating Video

holmesg

Video can serve as a great activating strategy to engage an audience.  What is your favorite youtube/teachertube/other opening video to get your audience focused and ready for the lesson.  One that I use to introduce problem based learning is Steve Spangler's How to be an Amazing Teacher (www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmMaGGQvX0).  What's yours?

• Re: Activating Video
          NaomiHarm

Thanks Gail for starting this discussion thread. The right video at the right moment can be so inspiring for educators and can also assist them to make their instructional delivery with their students meaningful and engaging.  Here are a few of my favorite lists I refer to often to find the right video to inspire:

http://www.accreditedonlinecolleges.com/blog/2010/100-informative-inspiring-youtube-videos-for-educators/

http://etoolbox.wikispaces.com/Videos

glen_w

One of my favorite videos to engage teachers is "A Vision of K12 Youth Students Today." I think this video does a good job of showing how and why teachers should be involved in Web 2.0 tools. During one District Technology workshop, the assistant Superintendent walked in - he watched for a few minutes and then responded "Looks like there is a reason to learn technology." PRICELESS!

If/when I work with one or more teachers who strongly push to "not change" and continue using lectures and textbooks as they in the past, I think it is time to pull out the "big gun." Joe's Non-Netbook!" I often see teachers laughing at the students - and then commenting how interesting such a book could be. In my opinion, this video shows well how important it is to provide technology and learning opportunities for our students. We should make sure their "textbooks" are suitable to engage them and help them learn. I do NOT think these "textbooks" should just be modifications of a print version of a book.

Dan Morris has a plethora of videos that he uses so I sure hopes he shares!  Dan.....

My Favorites:

I've used this one in Leadership trainings

First Follower: Leadership Lessons from Dancing Guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8amMCVAJQ

I've used this one with teachers

Starfish an inspirational message for all teachers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nZkq31J-GY

Others? Please share ones you have used or seen.

glen_w

If we want to motivate and get teachers excited - I think the best video might be "Goofy - Teachers Are People." This reminds me so much of how Middle School students behave - and why I love teaching them so much . I hope you can appreciate George as much as I do. (The end of the video makes me wonder if George was a scientist in the making? If so, perhaps his teacher influenced his future career.)

I LOVE that video. I am not sure if it is only me who sees it but George looks a little like Glen....hmmmmm. Compare his avatar and George's cartoon and see what you think. I love these fun videos.....share more Intel friends!

glen_w

Wait ... you think George looks like my avatar ? I resemble that remark!

Have you watched "Do You Believe in Me?" I shared this with my principal who watched half of it and decided it HAD to be shown at the very next faculty meeting. He asked teachers to watch the video and not talk to anyone during it or after it ended. About 30 seconds after the video ended, he asked everyone to tell him one student the video reminded them of. We had a very interesting discussion as teachers realized they taught students but might not have believed these students could be successful.

What topics would you recommend discussing with teachers after viewing this video?