34 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 6:58 AM by waterst4

eReader Device

lsrdhunter@msn.com

la_notetaking.gif

What eReader device are you currently using?  Why did you select this product?  Would you recommend it to your friends and colleagues? 

• Re: eReader Device

I am getting ready to buy the color Nook for my library. I will be getting rid of my magazine section since NO ONE ever reads any of the magazines. I pay a fortune in subscriptions without a single reader. I am choosing the Nook because of the color. A magazine is better in color...I would have it no other way. I am hoping they come out with a more durable case like they have for the reg nook since students sometimes are a little clumsy. The selection of magazines is growing and I am hoping by the time I purchase that there will be a better kid friendly selection. I do like the fact the browser and store can be turned off. I really like that you can put one book/magazine subscription on 6 Nooks. I would love to hear from others who are using Nooks in the schools. How are you using them?

I would like to see some research on the use of ereaders.

If you find any please, pass it along.

Eva

I have a Kindle and I love it. I have read 26 books since Christmas day (I got it as a gift). I like it because I use it just for pleasure reading- there is no need to worry about "work" while I am reading. I like it too because it is light weight and really easy to read in bed.

~Jennifer

• Kindle

I have a Kindle and I LOVE IT!!!  I have the Kindle 2.  The new Kindles are even better.  I read a lot and my house was being over run by books.  Now, I download them to my Kindle and have them to read where ever I am.  It is true that the Kindle is not in color, but that is okay with me. I prefer the Kindle because of the screen.  It is more like a book.  I can read it outside, and there is never a glare on the screen.  This makes it easy to read at the beach or by the pool.  My eyes do not get tired from reading the Kindle like they would if I was reading from a color display.  However, I do have an iPad, and I read magazines on it.  The iPad does make reading a magazine fun.  What ever your preference, I recommend an ereader to anyone who enjoys reading. 

My daughter uses the Kindle app on her iPad and I use nook on my Galaxy tablet.  We both like what we have but the drawback of a tablet is the glare on the touchscreen.  There was a comparison on Good Morning America yesterday (I had the day off!) and the Kindle has the longest battery life...1 month.  The Sony reader has the most storage (up to 3500 books).  The nook has color and text to speech but the battery only lasts about 16 hours.  There was only one other reader on the market with color and it was more of a stipped down tablet with a reader app.

I like the nook app because I can easily add annotations to what I am reading as well as the color which makes it suitable for children's books.

In the end, though, I usually stick with Audible so that I can knit while I "read".

glen_w

I use multiple reader apps on my iPod Touch. I use the iPod Touch because I'm still waiting for features on the iPad. (E.g. Flash and a built in USB port.) I like how easily the iPod Touch fits in my pocket and can be pulled out while traveling or waiting in line.

I did not realize the nook app allowed annotations to be made. Guess I've now got another app to explore .

I read that you have an ipod touch.  We have a set of 30 ipod touch devices.  Got any great ideas for using this tool with classes?  Like a scavenger hunt, maybe?  Recommendations for use? I haven't been trained to use them but I think I can figure them out.  Do you know which collective body in the Engage community that would have ideas?  I've never posted to the group at large and hesitant to try now.

glen_w

I do have an iPod Touch. I would enjoy having a set of 30 of these tools to use with my classes. You are right - this device is easy to use.

There have been some good discussions in the Intel Engage community regarding the iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad. They often share common apps and I think are good tools for student use.

The two main pages I would suggest you review - and ask questions on are:

Is there REALLY an APP for that Hangman Game (a lot of apps have been recommended here.)

Thoughts on the new ipad (the title seems more focused on the iPad - but many discussion points relate to class use of all three tools.)

Please ask questions if you struggle using the devices. I may not know the answer - but there are many in this community who have experience with the iPod Touch. I am sure they would be willing to share their knowledge.

I love annotating and marking up my books with notes! I have the nook app on my android phone and I use it almost constantly!

I have one of the first Kindles and I enjoy reading on that. My husband, daughter and I all share the same accounts and books. My hope was that it would cut down on the physical amounts of books in our house but it hasn't. My husband has the hardcover, paperback, and ebook version of the same book in some cases. I noticed with the Kindle that you can now loan your book to 1 person. The screen on the Kindle makes it easy to read. I have the Kindle app on my ipad and I use that sometimes.  I also like the ipad for magazines and RSS feeds. I was just on vacation at the beach and I didn't feel comfortable bringing my ipad to the beach because I felt like I always had to be close to it or have someone watch it when I went in the water and I didn't want it to get sandy. I hadn't thought about it before but it restricted my reading. I left it in the room for the whole trip so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I never worried about leaving my bag on the beach with my paperback book in it.

The notes feature is on the Kindle is great because at the end of your reading you can just pull up all your notes together to find what you want and then it takes you right to the page. When you hightlight in a book you have to remember where the highlight is. I also find that I look up words so much more often using the Kindle that I wouldn't do if I was reading a physical book.

I have the regular Nook. I don't like a backlit screen for reading a long time (which I do). The Nook is expandable; you can change the battery yourself; there are updates (got one last November which made it work/run better). I do have the use of an iPad, but I'd rather use the Nook for reading. You can get 1500 books on it, but you archive your books when finished. Every Friday B&N gives out a free book - some are what I like, some not. You can lend books to others from your list. My eyes aren't as tired after reading the regular Nook as a back lit book.  I can read it outside easily. I still like regular books I can hold, but this is great for vacation! You can carry along all the classics if you want to find a quote, or reread something you like without carrying around a lot of books.

lcsheehy

I also use multiple readers on my iTouch. I have the following Apps: Stanza, eReader, Kindle, Borders, iBooks, nook and a couple of author specific readers: Shakespeare and Sherlock. I find it interesting that different free books are available in each reader. So, I have downloaded different books in each app. Occasionally there might be a duplicate. The real challenge is remembering which App that I am currently reading a book in. I love iBooks because I can easily drop PDFs into iTunes and be able to read those.

lsrdhunter@msn.com

I have a Kindle and love reading with this device.  Recently I acquired an iPad and installed the Kindle software on it.  Now I can read from either device.  I still like the Kindle best for reading but thought you might like to know....  When I opened my book on the iPad, it asked me if I wanted to start from the beginning or from the page I was reading on my Kindle.  WOW... it doesn't matter which device I pick up, they both know where Ieft off!!!  

I have been investing in books at our school that are categorized as hi/lo...these are hi interest and low readability non-fiction books. We are using them with our boys who are low readers. I am interested in trying to get a couple of these books for the nook to see if the e-reader will increase the AR scores. I am thinking they will regard the book contents differently on an e-reader. Has anyone tried anything like this before? I will be reviewing the e-reader webinar from May for any tips but please share if you have any.

I bought the Sony e-reader.  I went back and forth for a while between the Sony and the Kindle, but in the end, I decided to go with the Sony.  I'm really happy with my choice.  Now, however, I've learned about the introduction of the Kindle Fire, Amazon's version of the tablet PC.  And I pre-ordered one.  My husband's laptop died and, to keep him from continuing to steal mine, I ordered a Kindle Fire.  I'm anxious to try it out.  I'm quite sure I'll be jealous of it and want one for myself, so we'll see.  Maybe I can snag one for my birthday or something.  

I just bought a Kindle.  Hope I don't regret not getting the Kindle Fire.

tdiener

Lesley, Lucky to have both a Sony and Kindle Fire in the family! When purchasing technology I often find myself saying "if only I waited another week". With the tablet market changing so quickly, I think it might be best that once you buy a tablet you should block out any new tablet information for a year (Although you might end up feeling like Rip Van Winkle). The newest staff member in our office is a "millennium-child". He just purchased a B&N Nook. He hacked away on it...and wow...it's now a full functioning android tablet (almost). It might be fun to have an eReader/Tablet show-and-tell webinar, where we can share our favorite eReader/Tablet tips, techniques, content, and apps. Enjoy your new equipment!

julesfischy

Tom- that is a great idea for a webinar and I think that you gave great advice. I think that I held off on getting an eReader-because I couldn't make up my mind.  Then I got an kindle for my birthday.  I LOVE it- I don't know why I waited.  Sure technology is going to change- but doesn't that happen everytime you buy a TV or phone or computer?  Heck- even my washing machine has been upgraded since I bought it.  But- when you find what you need - then get it and enjoy it for the reason you made your purchase.

We are utilizing our Nook Colors in our Language Arts classes for our novel studies.  We are also using them as extra computers for Study Island work, RenPlace (AR) testing and social networking sites (Edmodo.com).  Our students love using these; any type of technology in their hands, keeps them motivated and interested in lessons, learning and school in general.