A lot of times the question comes up in my training sessions of participants asking, "Where do I or how do I start a 1:1 initiative in my building/district" I believe administrators and teachers think that it is a good idea and they want to start right away with buying all the tools and passing them out to the educators, but in reality they have not looked at the big picture of time, resources and PD for the deployment. We need to start with the end in mind and craft an action plan that is researched-based with a shared vision timeline from all of the stakeholders who are part of the 1:1 and deployment/implementation initiative.
Every school environment is different, and with this the needs, tools, resources and PD training are different as well. To get started, teams need to look at crafting an action plan that addresses all of the following criteria:
1. Addressing the current status where we are at and what is holding us back with technology to address those hurdles
2. Benefits of going 1:1 and the educational impact for today's students and the impact on student academic growth
3. Crafting a shared vision of the initiative. Outlining time, recourses, people responsible, and active timeframe and built in critical checkpoints of 30, 60, 90 days etc. to document progress and setbacks and new strategies to overcome set backs and craft new objectives to make further progress.
4. Choosing the right 1:1 tool to for the right job in the grade level specific classroom. It does not just need to be a netbook- possibilities can include eReaders, laptops, tablets, and cell-phones and other tools.
5. Evalauation Plan: Evaluating the effectiveness of the 1:1 initiative based on qualitative and quantitive data and aligning with standards based outcome. Keep in mind the importance of educator and student reflections to gain critical info on lessons learned.
Here are a few resources to get you started on 1:1 about thinking about the big picture and keeping the focus of what are we trying to achieve with a 1:1 initiative with impacting student academic growth and teacher professional development training. More resources to come........
21 Steps to 1:1 Success : iPads for Learning
1:1 from Shambles in Asia
1:1 Laptop Initiative
1:1 Reseaach and Resources
Aberta's 1:1 Resources
ISTE: 1:1 Learning
Nebraska's 1:1 Initiative
New Hampshire's 1:1
Planning for a 1:1 from Iowa
Prepping Teachers for a 1:1
NC 1:1 Learning Technology Initiative Planning
Message was edited by: Naomi Harm