9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2011 11:43 AM by 19july

Intel Teach Aligns with National Board Certification

The top priority of National Boards is to impact student learning, advance Master Teachers to become leaders in their schools, provide high expectations, integrate technology, build drive, passion and be open to new strategies, have a commitment to improve and teach future leaders.  Sound familiar??  Intel holds the same standards high.  In reviewing a colleague's National Board entry, there was a parallel of teaching practices exhibited in National Board Certification and Intel Educators.  Being an Intel Educator helped in my quest for National Board Certification.  In planning for renewing my certification and reflection on the last nine years, Intel has had a major positive impact on my teaching practices.  Does anyone feel Intel has helped them in pursuing National Board Certification?  Do you see other similarities with this process and our Intel programs?

• Re: Intel Teach Aligns with National Board Certification
          holmesg

Because I was a technology facilitator when National Boards was created, and did not have the option to apply for board ceretification, I have not gone through the process. I can say however that INTEL has been a part of my planning in presenting in workshops, conferences, lessons and even making decisions at home. I find myself using the visual ranking tool when making decisions for my children.  I find myself creating curriculum framing questions when presenting workshops or conferences.  I can honestly say that INTEL has make a huge difference in my career!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            dgoodman_1958

Absolutely, Linda!  Many of the teachers in my district who have been through Intel Essentials or TWT will tell you that they used an Intel Unit created during training as part of their National Board process because it aligned well with the standards.  I, too, will be using much of what I've learned through Intel when beginning my renewal process next year.  It will be much easier this time around as it is the way I do business now.  I naturally think of an essential question with any unit or lesson I do with students and like Gail said, many times this happens in my personal life as well. 

I think the word seamlessly comes to mind when I think of how I use curriculum framing questions, thinking tools, assessment, etc.   

holmesg

National Boards is just one piece.  I have participants who have used their lessons to present as a final project in college classes.  I even have two teachers whose lessons were inlcuded as models for their counties. I think that says a lot about the research and work that INTEL does for education!

I am not a NBC teacher but I do support work with the NBC candidates in our area and I think the assessment piece of Intel is also a natural tie in because so much of what they do they need to tell how they know the student has learned the content and the assessment tool is great for that. It gives them other options than they may have thought of to use when assessing growth in themselves and their students. The connection with the real world and the community is also key in both programs.

The use of curriculum framing questions, thinking tools, integrating technology, standard alignment, and assessment do be come a way of thinking when teaching and learning.  That is a huge benefit of being an Intel Educator.  NBC candidates are very lucky to have intuitive, knowledgeable, educators as you to aid them in their quest.  NBC always looks at the impact on student learning.  Assessment is a key piece of using data to show student success.  The assessment tool is a good resource for showing impact on student learning.  And the real world connection is creating 21st century learners and problem solvers.

Elements may be helpful to some candidates who have not had the opportunity to attend Essentials or TWT, or need to refresh their learning.  (Project Based Learning, Collaboration, Assessment)  Do you think you could suggest elements, perhaps the year before the process?

Linda, first of all congrats on being a National Board Certified teacher!  I never achieved that level, but know first hand what that means as I worked with a couple of teachers in Indiana who were board certified. 

It makes perfect sense to me.  Intel Teach has all of the elements of GREAT teaching.  All teachers should in the country should use the tools that Intel offers.  But, sadly, many don't, because "It takes to much time".  Hopefully, at some point, someone will realize that the Intel model is what this country needs.  Not necessary more money, even though teachers deserve that, but the fact that PBL/Intel Teach WORKS!

Neil

Application of Intel approaches will give more enhancement in classroom teaching. I am teaching for the past ten years in Pakistan. There are several techniques that are already applicable but Intel getting started has really brought a change in the college environment. If it is continued in DA institutions I am sure that there will be more laurels for the college. I wish KBIE should also be aligned with Intel for the annual teachers refreshers.