16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2011 9:03 PM by e_caratao

Do you do web 2.0 right?

I was just reading Daniel Light's article in the Feb L&L about using web 2.0 tools in the classroom. He discussed what works and what doesn't for classroom teachers. The article was very interesting because he looked at activities and strategies being used in different classrooms. He found the three elements for web 2.0 success were daily practice, focus on audience and appropriate behavior. What advice about web 2.0 tools and classroom integration would you have for teachers or administrators? Please share the good, bad and ugly.

• Re: Do you do web 2.0 right?
          julesfischy

Susan - I think people may be interested in the electronic version of the article Do Web 2.0 Right. After reading the article others might have tips and strategies or lessons learned from their experiences.

I think that if people are looking to learn better ways to use online collaboration tools in the classroom that they should check out the elements course Collaboration in the Digital Classroom.Module 4 is all about Collaboration Strategies and Module 5 is about Collaboration Management.  

Nasiraa

for Teachers  web2.0 has brought new life inthe old projects,If we call ourselves 21st century teachers we need to bring into .practise and apply web 2.0 tools in our classrooms. And  this will become a regular feature in the class rooms very soon .teaches and students will  start using these tools.

using web2.0 tools also encourages social interaction,

bottom line if you are a   class room teacher teaching any grade using web 2.0 tools will give your students an enganging  Lesson they will never forget.

Has anyone changed their AUPs - Acceptable Use Policies to reflect Web 2.0 use?

glen_w

I have been on a district committee reviewing our AUP and recommending changes to reflect Web 2.0. The process has been LONG and less than exciting. In over 15 months of work, we have not seen change happen with the district AUP. I, however, keep my hopes up that with time common sense will prevail. My "ace in the hole" is our district PR person. She recently told principals "student work should be published online for commenting by others throughout the world." You can only imagine her surprise when the district IT director pulled her aside after the meeting and asked if she was aware she asked every principal to violate our AUP. She strongly believes a change needs to happen and I'm glad to have her on my team. I, however, think that glaciers move at a more rapid pace than our District policy committee.

What recommendations can I provide our PR person to help her in this process?

deafteach

I teach hearing imparied students, and we love to use voicethread. One of the goals for our department is to help our students connect with other deaf students.  I feel that the restrictions on keeping work private makes it difficult for my student to connect with other deaf children around the world.  I things were to change I would be very happy. I am worried about cyber abuse, how could we stay safe from that?

glen_w

I am glad to hear you are helping hearing impaired students use technology. My district also has very strict privacy requirements so my students cannot connect with anyone outside of our school. I welcome changes allowing students to become members of a larger community discussion. I also have concerns about cyber abuse and bullying. In my opinion, students should be taught how to navigate the Internet safely and what to do when they do not feel safe.  If our students become familiar with what is expected online and know to discuss things outside of "expectations" I think we can deal with cyber bullying and abuse. My opinion is such training would be much more effective than "blocking sites" in the long run.

dajohnson

My district had previously blocked YouTube. This year they made it available. It's been a nice change to have access to all that content.

As we've explored the idea of one-to-one, we have also discussed student use of mobile devices. No official change on that yet, but at least the idea of allowing more freedom in that area is also being talked about, and the previous assumptions of problems questioned.

glen_w

Dan,

Your post encourages me. YouTube has been and continues to be blocked in my district. I agree there is a LOT of content on YouTube that can benefit education. What are the top three things you have found beneficial on YouTube so far?

Good luck with the student use of mobile devices - I'm working on that same challenge and am not sure how close to resolution we might be.

Glen, have you tried safeshare.tv with the YouTube videos?  You still have to do it off campus, but it is a great site.  I have heard, but not confirmed, that if YouTube is blocked, then so is safeshare.tv.  You might give it a try.

Neil

glen_w

Highlight of my day! I dropped by the German teacher's classroom today. His students were given a unique assignment. They were to call his "Google Voice" number and leave a message in German. He was just checking the transcripts when I arrived. He was laughing so loud I had to check and see what was up. When I looked at the webpage, I understood everything. Students gave messages in German - his Google Voice account is "English based" so the translation tried to create English words. His comment was "I thought I would need to listen to their messages - now I know I will have to!"

Has anyone else used Google Voice as a "homework" assignment like this? What advantages / disadvantages have you seen?

Do you know of teachers using Google Voice as a "call me" number for students or parents who wish to ask questions about classes or assignments?

NaomiHarm

I just returned from presenting at the Florida International University annual conference, and my session I presented on was "Transforming Your Classroom Practice with Web 2.0."  It is always interesting to present to university educators and professors and to see and hear their reactions.  Most of them did not know really what web 2.0 was and why you would even use it to enhance classroom instruction.   By the end of the two hour presentation, everyone had at least 2-3 solid new ideas, strategies and tools to utilize in their online instruction to engage and motivate their college students.

A variety of tools were introduced supported with ISTE Nets, essential student learning outcomes, Educause documents, ISTE articles, and the support documents from the Intel Elements: Digital Classroom" course.  Attached is my presentation for your review or to get some new ideas to try.  Here is also my box.net file folder location as well from the FL University '11 presentation: http://box.net/naomiharm

Naomi

I love that you said...2-3 solid new ideas, strategies and tools to utilize in their online instruction to engage and motivate their college students - I find some many times that teachers don't have the time to really plan how the web 2.0 tools can be used within the curriculum. How do you find the time to not just learn about new tools but how to incorporate effectively in the classroom? Anyone? I know I use the Engage site and the webinars in particular. There is a great one this week on using digital tools in your classroom. Here is a link to the discussion http://engage.intel.com/message/22769#22769

JulieSzaj

Hi Susan,

In order to expose my teachers to Web 2.0 tools I build in opportunities at training where the tool is needed.  For example, we were doing a session on using data in an authentic way and I had the teachers do a variety of reaction time activities with a partner.  I used Google Spreadsheets and had the teachers enter their data into the doc.  This was a great way to show them how to use a great tool in an authentic way. They could see first-hand the power of the tool and how it could be intergrated into a lesson.

Naomi, I was facilitating a TwT back in March and needed to see what Web 2.0 tools the teachers might be interested in looking over.  One of the tools I have been using is polleverywhere.com.  They watched as I set up the poll and then they pulled out their cell phones and took the survey.  They thought it was one of the greatest things since air.  :-)   The larger point was that the cell phone in the classroom is not the enemy.  It can be used in constructive ways.  I have had one teacher who actually had his 8th grade math students create video podcasts on Newton's laws of motion using their cell phone to create the podcast. How cool!

Neil

NaomiHarm

Just came across some great new web 2.0 tools from the HP Teacher Exchange site for editing photos, creating digital posters etc.

http://h30411.www3.hp.com/tabs/Web+tools?page=1