17 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 4:28 AM by MrsSmoke

Going Global

vkajones

bunnyatwork_small.jpg

Have you created a project that has gone global?  Have your students collaborated with students in other countries via  video conferencing, wikis, face to face meetings, or some other  collaboration?  We would love to hear how your students took learning  way beyond the classroom walls to connect and learn from classrooms  outside of your country.  Share your projects with us!

Share  your project between March 13th and May 17th  to be entered into a  drawing for a $50.00 Gift Card. The drawing will end on May 17th, but this  thread will remain active after the incentive period. Unfortunately, for  legal reasons, we can only ship prizes within the U.S., but the  contents of this discussion are applicable to every Intel Teach educator  worldwide, so please help build a solid set of tips and resources for  everyone.  We look forward to your contributions.

• Re: Going Global

We had a group of students in our area that were learning Madarin and they went to school and hour early a couple times a week to work with a class from China. The project has been going on several years and the students are elementary age. Due to the time difference they needed to come in early.

We also had some classes connect with the National Archives. The elearning person is great with a wonderful sense of humor and very engaging. He asked the students a lot of questions and showed them some primary source documents. This was done at different grades but I was a visitor in a fifth grade (10 yr olds) classroom.

Our Story (http://chscougar.tv/Cannesfilmproject.html)

John B. Connally High School students have produced a short narrative film, FALLEN, and a short documentary film, THIRD COAST WONDER, for submission to the 2011 Cannes Films Festival in France.  This will be the first time a high school from Central Texas has worked on a film project which will garner world-wide attention.  Advanced Video Technology students, Digital Media Club students, and students from other departments are involved in producing and promoting the films.  Midian Films, a Round Rock production company, which has premiered films at Cannes for the past seven years, pitched the project to Connally High after seeing young people from other parts of the world present their films at Cannes.  Midian Films has been overseeing and co-producing the project with Connally's Video Technology Instructor, Humberto A. Pérez.

The Impact (http://chscougar.tv/Cannesfilmproject.html)

In addition to gaining film making knowledge, the students are refining skills such as collaboration, communication, creative problem solving, leadership, and the self esteem to pursue their goals and dreams, no matter how enormous they may seem. The film festival will give students the added opportunity of interacting in person with people all over the world. These are lessons that will last them a lifetime and make them better world citizens.

What We Need (http://chscougar.tv/Cannesfilmproject.html)

We still have obstacles to overcome.  Cougar Productions and Midian Films needs your support.  Even though this is a great opportunity for our students, we are still in need for funding to give our students who are involved in this project an opportunity to attend the 2011 Cannes Film Festival in France.  This project continues to be a great experience for our students, and we will be sharing some of our resources in the coming weeks!

For more information, please visit www.chscougar.tv or http://chscougar.tv/Cannesfilmproject.html

Make a difference in our students’ lives as you support academic and artistic excellence, and a valuable educational initiative in our community.

I am a technology resource teacher for my district and responsible for helping 10 of our schools integrate technology. This year two of my teachers from one building got excited about the possibilities of having our students communicate outside the district and country. In one video conference we connected with a meteorologist in Puerto Rico to learn about the tools they use to predict the weather. This school is a spanish immersion school so being able to speak to the meteorologist in her language was an added bonus to this conference. I am also in the process of getting a grade one teacher from this same building to video conference with a school in Columbia so they can compare their community with our community. We can't wait for that to happen.

One of the projects that many elementary school teachers do worldwide is "Flat Stanley." First, we read aloud "Flat Stanley" by Jeff Brown. The story is about a boy who was flattened by a bulletin board.  He has many adventures while being flat including being mailed to see his friend in California. (Don’t worry, in the end, his brother had an idea, which helped him return to his normal shape.) In class, in the past each student created a Flat Stanley and wrote a letter and sent it along with Stanley to someone in another city, state, or country. I asked the parents to help their child send it and encourage the recipient to record their adventure and and return Flat Stanley back to their child. When he returned, the child brought him back to school. We would make large displays in hallway and indicate on maps (one of Texas, one of The United States, and on of the World) where the Flat Stanleys visited.

It was a great project, but for years I have been wanted to update how we display the results. I know there is an official Flat Stanley website, but I wanted to create one just for my class. I created Ms. Shapiro's Flat Students' Adventures it this year and it is still a work in progress. If you click on the photos, most photos have journal entries/information on each one. This year we voted and the children decided to create Flat Students instead of Flat Stanleys. They each made one that represented themselves. As of right now, only a few of them back, but I wanted to share the website I created. So far one student went out of the country and a few out of state. Some stayed pretty close to home, too. We plan on hearing back from othe Flat Students in the next few weeks. My goal is for it to be more interactive allowing the recipient to add their own photos, make comments, etc.. Next year, I plan on doing it online with all of the 1st grade classes.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

We used photo story to describe the differences between an American Christmas and Australian Christmas with Kindergarten classes.

Skype is blocked over here in my district so we could not use this as an option.  I brainstormed with the teachers and we came up with the photo story idea.  The class that I worked with was over in Columbia, South Carolina.  The kids created the photo story and we emailed the class over in Australia all of our questions about how the Australian children celebrated the holidays.  There is a big time difference so calling was going to be out of the question.  Once the photo story was emailed over to Australia, the children in the United States patiently waited for the Australian responses about how they celebrated their holidays.  About a week later, we received an e-mail from Australian Child Development Class with their photo story.  The children on both sides loved to view these photo stories and wrote about it in their weekly journals.  Parents were invited to share both finished products from both classes from Australia and Columbia, South Carolina.

I am so excited...we just had some visitors from Brazil who work with that country's education department and the legislature.  Together we are planning a series of video conferences with Brazilian Members of Congress and students in the United States to explore what democracy translate into in different countries...what avenues citizens have to participate in government, what communication tools are used most often to keep people informed, what percentage of the population engages in elections, etc. 

We will be piloting this project during the Fall semester and then, hopefully, moving forward to include other countries over the next few years.

I am running a pilot-project for Englinsh Teachers . You can see a short description here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DvIXsX3_z7ERLSH4Dl-UBSE6GIhCncqshf-bc6ZymkU/edit?hl=en&authkey=CPzGzqQK

Join us on this project "English 2.0 - social network for English teachers "

invitation link:

http://english20.ning.com/?xgi=264mO5t2h5QIh7

Hope to see you there,

Leonardo

MrsSmoke

My Kansas students are currently collaborating with an orphanage in Nigeria. 

Our collaborative project, Exchanging Hope, was designed to provide a real world connection to literature we cover in class. We are proud to say that not only are we finding a way to connect literature to real life, we are joining together to improve two different learning communities. Our class is collecting gently used teaching materials, art supplies, and bulletin board pieces from teachers in our region in exchange for the original artwork made by the Nigerian children for our library.  So far, we have raised nearly 300 lbs of resources and $1000 in shipping fees, and the artwork from Nigeria is already being shipped.  They made fans from palm tree leaves which they painted in several colors and wove floor mats that we will hang on our library walls.  It's been a tremendous success and blessing to be a part of this project

http://exchanginghope.wikispaces.com/

Logonew.jpg