26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 9:26 AM by aelmer

IdeaJam on Education - with Alan November (Monday, May 2)

aelmer

Join the conversation and WIN big for education  

Where can YOU interact with IdeaJam?

How would you use technology to innovate the classroom experience? What’s the next big idea that will inspire students and educators? We want to hear from YOU! Tell us your ideas on Twitter using the #IdeaJam hashtag for chances to win your choice between $100 DonorChoose.org or Best Buy gift cards. Then be sure to follow @IntelEdge and join the conversation live, Monday, May 2, as we work together to  inspire and innovate.

IdeaJam:  Creativity and Technology in the Classroom

On Monday, 5/2, we have a big day in store.  We are reaching out to many teachers, classrooms and education luminaries throughout the US.  Join us by watching via LiveStream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YULZJwJuI and follow us on Twitter at @IntelEdge.  Educators, experts, parents, teachers and students from a variety of backgrounds and points of view will come together to flex their creative muscles on teaching and learning solutions. Moderated by Alan November (NovemberLearning.com), the “IdeaJam”, sponsored by Intel and Google/YouTube will ask participants to problem-solve and create new ideas for classroom design that integrate technology and help boost creativity.  The IdeaJam program is a truly interactive experience. Technology helps elevate the discussion to a higher level, creating a conversation around creativity and education, and allows for a robust dialogue that is both in the room and generated live, online. You can join in the conversation on Twitter @IntelEdge or check out the livestream on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YULZJwJuI. The stream will begin at 9:30am PT on May 2.

IdeaJam: Creativity and Technology in the Classroom - Schedule

9:30 – 9:50a        Alan November (November Learning http://novemberlearning.com/team/alan-november/) – “Welcome” – Alan thrives on confirming and challenging educators’ thoughts about what’s possible in the world of teaching and learning. More than anything, he is a teacher at heart, with a wealth of experience teaching learners of all ages.

9:50 – 10:20a     Eric Marcos and the “Mathtrain Kids” (http://www.mathtrain.com/) – Eric Marcos is a sixth grade mathematics teacher at Lincoln Middle School in Santa Monica, CA. Eric integrates purposeful-technology with a “kids teaching kids” model. Using screencasting software, Eric’s students create math video lessons, called mathcasts, which are used in classroom instruction and for the class podcast. He created the web site Mathtrain.tv, where students actively collaborate on-line.

10:30 – 11:30a   Skype in classrooms to showcase AMAZING success stories

Diana Laufenberg and 32 students, Philadelphia, PA – amazing things happen when you expect the most

Garth Holman and Michael Pennington and 6 students, Ohio Middle School – created a history wiki textbook

Aaron Sams and Jonathan Bergmann, Colorado Chemistry Educators – swapping class work with homework

Dyane Smokorowski and her middle school students - Kansas (if you know Dyane, you know the amazing global

collaborative projects she and her students create)

…and other participants

Steve Barr – the board chair of Future is Now Schools. He has created 17 high-performing charter high schools since 2000. Before entering education, Barr created the first surge in 18-24 year old voting since the passage of the 26th Amendment as co-founder of Rock the Vote.

Jessica Gottlieb – one of the most popular “mommy bloggers” on the web, writing daily on jessicagottlieb.com. She is also a panelist at momversation.com. Before launching her own blog, Jessica wrote about parenting while green at Celsias.com and and EcoChildsPlay.com.

Teresa Strasser – an Emmy-winning writer and host of Yahoo’s This Week in Mom. As a journalist, Strasser is a contributor to the Los Angeles Times and a columnist for The Los Angeles Jewish Journal. Her first-person essays have garnered three Los Angeles Press Club Awards, including Columnist of the Year. She was named one of Babble’s Top 50 Mom Bloggers in 2010 for her site, Exploiting My Baby. Currently, she can be heard in Los Angeles during morning drive on KABC radio.

Noah Nelson – a reporter for Youth Radio’s news blog, Turnstyle News. Youth Radio is a non-profit news organization providing technical training and production activities to support social, professional and leadership development for youth, ages 14-24. Youth Radio strives to connect youth with their communities through media literacy and professional development.

Jacob Soboroff – hosted NBC's School Pride, and is the correspondent for AMC News on AMC. He serves as executive director of Why Tuesday?, a non-partisan group working to increase voter participation. He has also contributed to NPR Weekend Edition and to the PBS series WIRED Science.

Lori Miller – a documentary and feature film producer. Her most recent project premiered at the Tribeca Film Fest; Shakespeare High – follows a determined group of teens whose immersion in the Drama Teachers Association of Southern California's high school drama program compels them to overcome their difficulties and create better lives for themselves.

Matt Arnold – a teacher, filmmaker, and photographer. He teaches middle school at Crossroads School in Santa Monica. Matt’s latest film, The Long Green Line, is about a high school cross-country running team.

Morgan Schwartz – a Middle School Director at Crossroads School in Santa Monica. Crossroads School philosophy puts emphasis on the arts and creativity.

Pam Horrocks – Director of Technology at the Archer School in Los Angeles. Archer is an all-girls school and aims to prepare young women for leadership in an ever-emerging global world.

John Ayers – runs GravityTen, a collaboration of creative professionals with years of marketing and advertising experience, offering innovative solutions in print, web, broadcast and beyond. He is the parent of a student at Beethoven Elementary and has been actively involved in helping get technology resources in the classroom.

Valerie Bramiah – started as a teacher with Teach for America 15 years ago and her career has spanned executive management in a national consulting firm, cabinet-level leadership in a public school district, research and evaluation experience, and grant management in non-profits and foundations. She currently serves as the VP of Instruction at the Alliance for College Ready Public Schools, the implementation lead for a $7 million grant from the Gates Foundation to improve teacher effectiveness in our schools.

KC Robinson – works with www.score.org, which fosters economic development through education. He is also a PTA dad an active member of the tech ecosystem at LAUSD.

Warren Dale – a technology facilitator for LA Unified School District. He also runs the web site http://learnsmarter.org/, which focuses on 21st century teaching techniques and resources.

Corby Arthur – teaches 3rd grade at Beethoven Elementary School in Mar Vista. Beethoven is part of LAUSD.

11:35 – 12:00p   Answer online audience question and Q&A with students and teachers onsite

12:00 – 1:00p     Lunch break

12:30 – 1:00p     Rosa Ruvalcaba and Marco Torres, Alas Media  – a multimedia company of filmmakers, graphic designers, photographers, writers, and educators dedicated to telling stories.

1:15 – 1:30p        Form into groups with onsite students and educators

1:30 – 3:00p        Groups brainstorm on “IdeaJam: Creativity and Technology in the Classroom Student  Contest”

3:30 – 4:00p        Student from each team presents next steps for their ideal classroom and contest rules

4:00 – 4:15p        Closing remarks – Alan November

4:15 – 4:45p        On camera interviews of participants

Join us with IdeaJam by extending your social voice.

Jump on Twitter

• May 2: One day, one topic, many voices. We’re exploring creative solutions for education at Intel #IdeaJam, Follow @IntelEdge for more info!
      • What’s the next big idea for inspiring students & educators? Follow @IntelEdge & join us for Intel #IdeaJam Mon., 5/2, focused on education.
      • How would you use technology to innovate classrooms? Tweet your answer w/ #IdeaJam for chance to win $100 @Donorschoose GC.
      • What's the next big idea that will inspire students and educators? Tweet your answer w/ #IdeaJam for chance to win a $100 @Donorschoose GC.
      • What’s your creative idea that would improve education? Tweet your idea w/ #IdeaJam for chance to win a $100 @Donorschoose GC.
      • How would you bring more creativity and innovation into the classroom? Tweet your idea w/ #IdeaJam for chance to win a $100 @Donorschoose GC

Where can YOU interact with IdeaJam?

• Re: IdeaJam on Education - with Alan November (May 2)
          glen_w

Can anyone eliminate Mandated State testing immediately? That's the only way I can participate in this event. I think the option is awesome. Too bad someone has to be responsible for making sure all testing is done for my school.

• Re: IdeaJam on Education - with Alan November (May 2)
            aelmer

We hope that you will join us for the Intel IdeaJam moderated by Alan November - Monday, May 2nd. You can participate in the conversation on Twitter by following @IntelEdge and the #IdeaJam hashtag or check out the livestream at 9 a.m. PST at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YULZJwJuI

Hoping to see some familar faces at the event or joining virtually! Watch the livestream and see if you can spot some of your Teachers Engage friends!

Watch the Intel IdeaJam, May 2: Educators, experts, parents, teachers and students, all with different backgrounds and varying points of view, discussing fresh ideas and brainstorming in no holds bar style, all with the goal of how to better empower and enable students and educators.

Glen (and others in the same situation) - there may be a way to participate after this event, for the mid-June finale, more to come on that. Kudos to you!

More to follow... 

• Re: IdeaJam on Education - Alan November (May 2)
                blancaedu

So I took a look at all 8 parts of the YouTube videos for the 1st Intel IdeaJam (Yes, there were 8!) and found some great pieces. In this video Ashton asks "How about asking a question that creates polarity?" Move the viewer to 5:38 min.

Keep watching because then he starts to ask essential questions! HAHAHA Sooo....I am wondering, which lucky one of you got a chance to brief him on Essential Questions?! Because...he's pretty darn good at it! Glen? Naomi? LOL

Here is the list of the different YouTube videos in case you would like to see them in order. They weren't all together on YouTube:

Part 1 of 8    Part 2 of 8    Part 3 of 8    Part 4 of 8

Part 5 of 8    Part 6 of 8    Part 7 of 8    Part 8 of 8

I hope to catch the wave, as they say, on Monday. There are a lot of ways to get involved. I've already tweeted my idea for one of the prizes but I'm wondering if I have to wait until Monday? Julia posted those questions in This Discussion. IntelEdge is the twitter handle to follow I think.

Glen, I am shocked that you are not able to get away from the tests for a minute - see all the good stuff we miss because of testing. Sigh. We start ELAs next week too but we are further east so it doesn't interfere with our school day. Looking forward to hearing more Alison, about what next steps there are! I'm sure there will be places to rock and roll in.

• Re: IdeaJam on Education - Alan November (May 2)
                    glen_w

Blanca,

Thanks so much for sharing the videos. I appreciate you finding all of these and putting them together for us.

No, I did not prep Alan November on Essential Questions. It is nice to see others understanding the importance and use of good questioning techniques.

I was disappointed to miss today's IdeaJam. Not only was I busy with testing all day, I ended up staying after school for 1.5 hours working to get more things ready. The good news is how smoothly the testing is going. We, however, have several weeks of testing to go so my fingers are still crossed.

• Re: IdeaJam on Education - with Alan November (Monday, May 2)
                  amcmill

Alison, we would have LOVED to have participated in this session.  However, YouTube is blocked here, as it is in many districts and states around us.  I would have enjoyed sharing this resource with educators in our LEA, but was unable due to the site used for hosting and streaming.  I am sure there were many ideas shared and a wealth of resources provided and I look forward to viewing them at home later.  Thanks for sharing this amazing and unique opportunity.

Amber McMillan

• If you missed the Intel IdeaJam on Education - with Alan November
                    aelmer

It will be posted - there is a "Subscribe" button at the top of the page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YULZJwJuI and you'll be notified when it's ready to view.

Enjoyed all the great discussions, thanks to all who joined in!

Alison, I just finished watching Part 1 of IdealJam and the one statement that caught my attention was "We're still making this content that looks exactly like the content you can see on TV".   What caught my attention about the statement is that is the way many teachers approach the classroom.  Their students are still creating content that looks exactly like 1955.  I've said it before, and I know I'm not the first :-), but I will keep saying it until it gets heard-we've got to get the powers that be, IT departments, school boards, state dept of eds, etc, to understand that we must allow our students to use the tools that are available to them via the computer. 

I look forward to seeing the rest of the series. 

Neil

Alison, even though the video was about making a film viral, I came away with the following idea.  Ashton states:  "Content that you can put into the marketplace and that content creates a conversation that creates more content".....   That got me to thinking about the Unit Plans we create and the CFQ's that drive those units.  Isn't that what the CFQ's are really about. So, if we create units that are really being driven by the CFQ's, the summative assessment platform becomes less and less important.  We want our students to ask even more questions as they "answer" the bigger questions.  Maybe I'm the only one who makes this connection, but it makes sense to me.

To quote Dan Morris, "Does that make sense"?

Do you find that many of the teachers we work with really understand CFQ's or are they something they learn about but never use.

Neil

blancaedu

Hi Neil,

Glad to know that you and I both use Dan's, "Does that make sense?" ending. I love it - it makes the audience much more open to giving their thoughts on a subject! (Thanks, Dan!)

To get back to the point about content generating more content, I haven't had a chance to write my reflection from the brainstorming done with students on Monday afternoon, however, I can share quickly that the during the brainstorming session about what type of contest to create for other students to participate in, students were VERY interested in helping others and finding ways to find solutions to problems. Mind you, they were not interested in finding only ONE solution to a problem but they wanted to create a space where problems could be posed and then students from all over the world could post their solutions, and then they wanted for more students to be able to take those solutions, remix the video responses and post even more solutions - content generating more content!

Also interesting to me was they really understood that there could be more than one answer to a problem and that they felt somewhat compelled at times to give the one that would give them credit. They wanted real world connections for learning - and it didn't matter whether it was local or global. They talked about learning styles and giving opportunities for choice in assessments and using music and the arts to showcase. I'll have an opportunity to write more tonight but I really wanted to touch on Neil's assessment.

And yes, Neil, that totally makes sense to me!

aelmer

Hi Neil,

Great question! I know you've trained a lot of educators in Arizona, do you know many who are using CFQs in compelling ways?

I would love to hear what Intel Teach teachers say:

• Do you use CFQs?
                              • What's your all-time favorite?
                              • What do they mean for your students' learning?

Alison

Alison, there are not as many Arizona teachers who use them on a regular basic, but it is getting better.  I have several in the Cottonwood area that use them on a regular basis and are having fantastic results.  Angie Hillman, Aspiring Teacher last year, is one who does as she works with 8th Grade Special Ed students.  Her kids have blossomed. 

Along with your questions, I would like to know if there is any research/data that shows the academic increase of students who's teachers use CFQ's against those who don't.  That would be an interesting study!  Sounds like a pilot for Glen.  :-)

Neil

blancaedu

Regarding CFQs, Neil, I have found that teachers that are the most effective in the classroom, that is, those who have students who are questioning, engaged, on task, creating, etc. do have a list of questions at the ready. I'm amazed at how different the classroom experience is for students when they refer to them constantly. Essential questions are a part of many school reform models. In a school I work with in Maine, they are implementing the RISC model and with Essential Questions clearly marked in every classroom and guiding questions that lead back to it every session, I've seen the transformation in the classroom. I certainly believe it makes a difference but to get back to your question, I do not believe it is the norm in the schools that I have observed. A lot of the work emphasized has to do with understanding of a skill rather than understanding of the way concepts relate to the real world and to life. If you are working on skills and basic understanding you are typically working on the bottom level of the CFQs. Unfortunately, when you focus on test prep skills, this is the reality. Have you found any really good models in your experience?

Alison, here I go with IdealJam, part 3.  It strikes me as interesting that Ashton is taking one subject, Dream Bigger Digital Content Creation, but yet there are still all of the concepts of Project Based Learning.  In part three, it was about being personal and real to the individual.  One of the main concepts that we talk about during the trainings is about "Making it relevant".  I am a "child of the 60's" and that was the same question we were asking then. 

People really learn when it means something to them.  We, as educators, have to make it personal and real. 

Neil

cindimay

Dyane is definitely a pioneering educator. I'm proud to say she is a great mentor to me (as well as others) and a dear friend.

vkajones

Great article. Thanks Alison for sharing it with us. Smoke is such a wonderful educator. I'm so privileged to have the opportunity to work with her on a weekly basis.

Vanessa

• Re: IdeaJam on Education - with Alan November (watch the recordings)
                                        aelmer

http://www.youtube.com/ideajam - Recordings are posted

See Alan November, students, teachers, discussing the future of learning and technology in the classroom.

Click on 'Education' under "more ideajams", scroll back up to the top to see 4 different segments,

Ideajam.png

including teachers and students skyping in to talk about how technology and creativity can be combined to create an ideal learning environment (there's Mrs. Smoke's class)

Smoke.png

Looking forward to more to come on June 12th.... 

• What Inspires You to Learn?
                                          aelmer

Contest for Your Students: Enter the “What Inspires You to Learn?” Contest

(if you're in touch with any of your students over the summer - this contest runs until August 15)

Idea Jam

Inspiration comes in many shapes and sizes. For some it’s from an influential teacher, a favorite subject or the pursuit of a lifelong dream. Whatever it may be, it’s that special something that gives you the energy to complete your homework, study on weekends, share knowledge with others and always strive to learn more.

Whatever your motivation is, we want to hear from you! That’s why we’re hosting the “What Inspires You to Learn?” contest, June 13 – August 15. Tell us what inspires you to learn for a chance to win a Toshiba laptop with Intel 2nd Generation Core i5 technology for you, PLUS, a Sony Internet TV for your school!