4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 7:11 PM by glen_w

Student Podcast Challenge

glen_w

Last week my students were given the challenge to create a short podcast. The topic was STEM … Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Students were told their podcast could be about how these content areas combine to engage students or they could discuss something different. Students approached me asking permission to discuss why they loved science this year compared to previous years. Other groups wanted to discuss differences in how boys and girls learn. My district allowed me to create a pilot project and upload the top five podcasts to our community.

Please listen to each podcast and rank each podcast from 5 to 1 stars based on the idea that: your favorite receives 5 stars to your least favorite earns 1 star. My students are anxious to get feedback from a “worldwide community of technology teachers!”

Please also add to this discussion by sharing ideas of how products like this engage the students and lead to deeper thinking. If you have student work you may share … please add it as well!

• Re: Student Podcast Challenge

Your kids seemed really to get into this topic, Glen.  They all did well, and my rating was simply done because you asked for it. You can congratulate them all for a job well done: diverse, witty, and factual...and you can be proud of them another time. 

glen_w

Thanks for providing feedback. The students did not have enough time to do this outside of class so their products are not as polished as I would have liked to see. I think for their young age they did quite well.

Inside or outside of class, they did well. I've seen kids with a lot more time outside of class not do so well simply because they didn't want to much of anything. I think they just didn't want to work, period, even if it is fun for them. Their content use was the big weakness but a lack of enthusiasm marked them all. Your students were very good in these respects.

glen_w

I appreciate everyone who has rated the podcasts so far. If you have not yet rated them, please download and listen to each podcast and then rank the podcasts from 1-5 (5 means the best podcast.) Comments on each podcast are welcome but not needed.