13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 6:17 AM by mitzi.vincent

BYOT  Bring Your Own Technology

mitzi.vincent

Next school year some of the schools in my district will  allow students to bring their own technology devices to use.    This year  teachers and students participated in professional development and online courses to prepare for integration of such devices.  If your school or district  has a BYOT policy please share your experience.

• Re: BYOT  Bring Your Own Technology

We are opening a new high school in the 2011-2012 school year and we are incorporating BYOT as well. I am excited about this and would love to hear from areas that have this already in place!

julesfischy

Mitzi - this is great. As you are looking for policies - what has the district decided regarding access?  Will they allow students to connect via the wi-fi at the school or will they need to have their own access?  There has been some discussion about this at my son's high school but so far I don't see any action.  I would love to share with that principal some ideas and learning's from others that are experiencing or using the Bring your own technology.

mitzi.vincent

Students will connect through wi-fi.  They already have username and password.  It is mointored just like school access. Students are not allowed to use cell phones at school, so they can not access internet on their own.  We have some schools that are leading the project.  It will be a very exciting year for me and my students.

Mitzi, will the district be doing a virus scan of the technology before allowing it on the network?  Also, I have a post concerning cell phone use in the classroom.  Was there any specific discussion about why "no cell phones"?  I still believe they can be controlled in the classroom. 

Neil

Rapides Parish is very close to allowing students to bring their own technology to school. Our superintendent sees the future and likely will begin allowing the practice parish-wide. His philosophy seems to be that, since students, backed up by their parents, won't stop bringing and using the technology, then the system might as well begin to take advantage of it and use it for instructional purposes. Whether we agree or not, that seems to be the future with the ubiquitous cell phone and tablet devices. It seems to me that I have seen a video about system fears for the introduction of new technologies into the school system--things like pencils, ball point pens, calculators, and etc.

glen_w

Mitzi,

My district currently has a very strong policy for students to NOT bring their own technology into the schools. As you can probably guess, almost every student carries something electronic in his/her pocket. I was pleased when a "pilot project" I proposed was allowed last year. My principal allowed me to let students use any technology tool they had for our class labs. It was rare that EVERY lab group did not have their own technology device. Such devices are great for using in the science classroom. Students took photographs and videos of labs to include in digital multimedia lab reports. The technology was also used for calculations as well as timing events.

I hope to propose change at the district level. Personally, I think students should be allowed to use their technology in the classrooms. The concerns I currently have are:

1. How do we ensure those "without technology" do not feel punished or left out?
                    2. What responsibilities do school have to ensure parental "plan minutes" are not infringed upon?
                    3. What technologies should/should not be allowed?

I welcome ideas from my friends in the community.

Glen, I'm guessing you had a written "Pilot" proposal.  If you are willing, I would love to be able to present that at our Software Showcase in September.  We WILL be discussing the "cell phone" issue.

Thanks,

Neil

glen_w

Neil,

This is actually one of the few verbal proposals for a pilot project that I have suggested and received permission to do. I, unfortunately, do not have a written copy I can share with you. I wish you the best of luck in your Software Showcase. I think this discussion can and should be happening nationwide. The power of today's wireless phones and similar technology can and should be harnessed to benefit a student's education (IMHO.)

Glen, I just read your post on my cell phone discussion and will go with something like that.  We are starting to make some inroads, but it is still tough going.

See you soon,

Neil

glen_w

I have often said the change in education sometimes moves slower than a glacier. There seemed to be a frantic pace for suggesting change relating to "Race to the top." I, however, do not see that same urgency relating to policies and procedures that are currently in place.

I understand and respect the need to make sure students are safe. These same students, however, bring the technology with them to school (despite any policy against it.) Several times this past year, I have had students ask if they could step into the hallway to "take a call from my <insert parent gender here>." One young lady said "My mom has tried to call me five times already in the last ten minutes." I allowed her to take the call - and reported my disobedience to the principal later that day.

I hope you are more successful influencing change than I have been. Please share what works from your discussions.

mitzi.vincent

It is exciting to know that you will have an opportunity to participate in a BYOT for your classroom.   You are so right about every student having some  type of device.  My granddaughter is only two years old and she already uses an ipod touch, Skypes with me, and an iPad.   So how could she be expected when she begins school to not use mobile devices?   I am proud that our district is moving forward to changing they way we think about devices in the classroom.  Recently, we experienced budget cuts that reduced personel at all levels.  We just don't have the funds.   In order to continue with progress, we must come up with alternatives.  I believe that BYOT is one way to continue growth.  I'll be interested in keeping with your experience this school year as well as sharing mine. My new job will be teaching technology to students in a Pre-K-8th school.  I'm  excited to begin my new adventure.