7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2011 11:37 PM by bushrasaeed74@hotmail.com

How do we encourage teachers to implement Projects in the classroom

abuan

Hello everyone,

Many teachers have completed training on PBL the challenge now How do we get teachers implements projects as part of their curriculum?

• Re: How do we encourage teachers to implement Projects in the classroom

Amelia, when I am working with a group of teachers that are just starting to use PBL, I have them brainstorm ideas with other teachers.  The talk about what their content questions are and what "real-world" jobs might require that skill.  I would have them start with a shorter unit so that both the teacher and student can really see what PBL is about.  The first step is sometimes the hardest to take.

Neil

mitzi.vincent

I think follow-up and support is helpful to getting teachers to implement what they learn.  Follow up may be as simple as email, creating a Twitter group, group in Engage, continuing to post helpful sites, articles and such.   By reconnecting with the teachers they collaborate and perhaps solve one another's difficulties with their own experiences or suggestions.

Social  impact of  PBL will  creat a  change  in  the  environment , and will give awareness about, how  to  get  rid of the problems related  to  that  prescribed  project.

For many teachers here in California, sometimes it's a matter of reminding them that they have permission to outside of the lines. The pacing guides and district assessments, not to mention our state assessment given every Spring can keep teachers from pursuing new things, even when they know it's best for their kids. They have to be encouraged to take risks and feel it's OK to fail - because it just might. But that's OK. Projects represent what many of us remember about education. If you can, visit High Tech High in San Diego - now THAT's a worthwhile trip. I met Larry Rosenstock; he is brilliant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rv_rmJYorE

Hello Amelia and Everyone

I have faced that challenge ever since we started PBL. We had to constantly follow teachers, remind them, encourage them, call them in clubs for pedagogical discussion, a few took initiative for a year or so and then stopped the practice.

why?

With reference to Pakistan, the government schools will implement only when they have directions from their Minister Education/Secretary Education. Hence it is important to get their involvement not only for training but for implementation which is at present not happening in Pakistan. A few private elite schools, Yes they are doing it, since they are autonomous.

Our examination system does not support PBL. There is no demarkation that internal exam grade will be based on PBL. No one has done that yet.

I wish someone should wake the policy makers in Pakistan. Ratan started but then she left Intel. I wonder where she is now as she hardly ever comes to community?

PBL is a bit costly. It requires resources and until and unless the school administration does not encourage teachers and students with time and resources it cannot be implemented.

Moreover it is very important that leadership forums for principals should also be organized after each PBL training of teachers to prepare them to support change in school teaching and learning methodology.

In my opinion there is a lot of responsibility on educators on this community to think and devise plan for the implementation of program in its true and real spirit and I am happy Amelia has highlighted a very realisitic issue. In my country we have not reached using cell phones, ipods, podcasts etc, we are still thinking how to use centralized computer labs for PBL only. We do not have such kind of resources. But we educationists love PBL and want our teachers to implement it with students for success.

Bushra