10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 1:08 PM by mitzi.vincent

iPods,iPads Oh MY!!!!

mitzi.vincent

I have some great apps for iPod Touches and iPads.  I have also collected some great lessons.  Now I would like to have  some great management tips  for a class set of iPads and iPods for multiple users, particularly for middle school aged students.  I'm interested in knowing about methods of storage, assigning the devices,  and management of projects students create on the devices. 

• Re: iPods,iPads Oh MY!!!!
          julesfischy

Mitzi -I think that this is a great discussion regarding management and organization strategies for ipod and ipad users and I hope those that are implementing in the classroom will choose to share their best practices.  For ideas and general thoughts - check out the following two discussions - Thoughts on the new ipad and IPods in PreK?

mitzi.vincent

Thanks for sharing.  I just finished teaching in our district's tech camp for students.  This year the device was ipod touches.  The students were from grades 2-8.  Students had task cards to introduce them to various apps.  The cards were created on a powerpoint template and loaded on the Blackboard site where students could access them.  The task cards introduced them to various free apps like iMotion and a task to complete.  Students also learned how to use iTunes, create an account without a credit card and read ratings to dowload appropriate apps.   Students also created their own digital app reviews on a template. The week engaged students in projects and short activities.  Great experience.

I love the ipad! What kinds of apps and lessons have you found? AND how are you able to have a class set?? Do they belong to the kids or is the school providing them? That would be amazing to have that kind of technology in the classroom.

iPad apps work well for whole class instruction on the SMARTBoard too.  A teacher I work with uses her iPad to model for the class and then students can use apps for workstations.  I love the idea of having fun activities for students to learn both technology and learning skills at the same time.  She uses the anatomy flashcards and virtual surgeries.

vkajones

Wonderful resource from KathySchrock https://sites.google.com/site/schrockipad/

A great website to check is www.weareteachers.com. They have teachers who have already reviewed a bunch of different types of apps and have them organized in different categories based on grade level and subject area.You can also free apps for a chance to win a $25 gift card. Enjoy!

mitzi.vincent

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Since I wrote this first post our district has rolled out many trainings in setting up and using iPads/iPods in classrooms.  We have a website on our Blackboard site with directions to set up the devices, create accounts at iTunes with a credit card, configuration directions for email, etc.  We have also developed more task cards for using apps with students.   In my classroom, I created a form with Google Docs that my students use to review apps.  I am then able to share the student reviews with other teachers.  I have also had my students create task cards for the apps.  They have learned to write better directions by doing this activity.  I found great resources like Tech Chef 4 U  www.techchef4u.com   This site provides a wealth of information and resources for apps and lessons.