10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 4:55 AM by iffatmsd@gmail.com

Suggestion Required

sadiasyed

Hello Everyone,

I need your expert opinion about a matter that I recently encountered. Suppose you are teaching ‘Integration of Technology’ to the senior most faculty members (age wise) of any Institution. How one can assess their learning outcomes?

What sort of assessment technique will work well in this situation?

• Re: Suggestion Required

Sadia,

These are very compelling questions that I don't have an answer for, but they did bring another question to mind.  I am wondering how much technology proficiency is required by the teachers in your institution.  Would the assessment outcome and technique be based on any individual teachers' skill or mastery?

erroth

Sadia,

I would ask your senior-most faculty how they feel they should be assessed and include input from your administration in the final assessment piece.

sadiasyed

Thanks Robbie and Eric for your feedback.

Robbie, for your query, the proficiency required is on individual bases.They only have to develop skill to search their subject relevant material from internet and use it in given topics from their curriculum.

Their task is to make topic wise presentations and present before the class. The said participants know to work on MS-Office but have limited prior exposure to web based tools. This activity aimed to develop search oriented pedagogical practices among teachers who are inclined to traditional method of teaching. 

Eric, I will keep your point in mind.

Sadia, I have encountered this problem, not in terms of assessment, but just getting the teachers to "want" to use the technology in their classrooms.  Many of the "senior" teachers are afraid of technology because they have never used it.  Having said that, if your teachers know how to use MS Office I would have them take that knowledge and simply transfer to something like Google Docs.  Just explain that the "Docs" are really nothing more than an online word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software.

How one can assess their learning outcomes--it would seem to me that by simply understanding and being able to show that a particular skill is the same on either platform, MS Office or Google Docs, that, that should be enough.

What sort of assessment technique will work well in this situation--have you considered using a checklist of some sort?  I would image that would be fairly simple to create-an assessment of the transference of skills from MS Office to Google Docs or some other platform.

I don't know if this is any help to you, but, as I understand the question, this would seem to be one possible thing to look at.

Neil

One thing you might do is have the faculty members look at the ISTE (International Society for Technology Educators) standards http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx and have them self assess where they think they are and possibly what areas they would like to improve. It might get the conversation going a little.

Learning out comes can be assessed at three levels:

During teaching: We can ask them to present what they have learnt.

At the end of course/workshop: by seeking feedback, asking to overview/summarize their recent knowledge.

Afterwards: Regular follow up.

these suggestions seem to be very common and out dated! let somebody else suggest more effective activities?

blancaedu

Sadia,

Many good ideas about assessing leaders in this post. Asking them is a great way. If they don't know where to start the ISTE NETS-T is a great place to start to discuss what is needed. Fear needs to be out of the equation. Try small group settings where people know each other and will talk openly about what they know and don't know. You may want to ask them to journal their learning and keep up a blog for reflection.

It's a good thing you are doing.