18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 2:28 PM by mjackson@nodholt.k12.mo.us

Open Doors: Technology in Your Classroom

julesfischy

If you haven't heard Intel is celebrating teaching 10 million teachers around the globe! And through the Intel Teach training opportunities many classroom doors were opened to various possibilities.

How has technology "opened" your classroom door?  And what is the one technology tool, device, software you can't live without?

bunnyatwork_small.jpg

Share your ideas between September and January 31, 2012 and be entered into a monthly drawing for an Intel Micro Sound Button and a 13.5’ BunnyPerson.  The drawings will end on January 31, 2012,  but this thread will remain active after the incentive period.  We do need a minimum of 10 participants must respond and engage in this discussion for the drawing to be held. We look forward to your contributions.

• Re: Technology in the classroom

Students gain information about light and shadow and attempt to answer the essential question: What changes do you see?. As students work through this unit, they  record shadow measurements and map the location of the sun in the sky. They record their data using spreadsheet software and analyze it in the form of a graph. They  use the data they have collected about shadows, they estimate where their shadow will be at an assigned time of day, use a draw program to create an accurate depiction of a figure at that given time of day, and check their accuracy by taking a digitized photo.  Finally, students create slideshow presentations to showcase what they have learned about shadows.They also investigate the importance of direction. They use technology tool to showcase their learning. They make convincing presentation to propose ways to measure the time by the help of an ancient device called sundial.

http://educate.intel.com/pk/ProjectDesign/UnitPlanIndex/Sundial/index.htm

High speed internet access is a must. This, more than anything has opened up the doors and is a "can't live without." Google docs, wiki, laptop,wireless, iPad, projector, and doc cam are critical as well, although they all aren't "live withouts" (I didn't think I could go without a microwave for very long, but have gone about 6 months without one now).

As I am just beginning the class I have not viewed all of the tools.  However, what I have seen makes me excited for my students.  I hope Intel can open many doors for my classroom.

sadiasyed

Julia,

I am confident to mention here that Intel Teach Training has opened new doors for me and my students. In fact this training helped me to use technology in an atmosphere where technology or web based tools suppose to be the domain of students having computer as their subject but now I am confidently integrating technology and technology tools into language and communication class.

Now, Internet, my laptop, wireless Internet device (in case college Internet is not working) multimedia, Google docs and my class wiki are the accessories I cannot live without.  

http://10millionteachers.intel.com/teachers/104/sadia-syed

Technology tool would be a full-spec mobile computing device, i.e. laptops. This is with the assumption that high speed (at least 1 Mbps) internet access is available.

Through my experience in trying out different computing devices, given that I'd want my students to work on content development, rather than just accessing sites and checking out learning packages, I feel that the typical netbook, iPad or tablets are insufficient to meet the expectations of impatient learners of present day and age. Perhaps this is due to the age of students I teach (15-16 year olds), whereby they are expected to be empowered to take charge of their own learning rather than just merely waiting to be fed more information.

I would think a underpowered device may be more appropriate for youger students, for the obvious benefit of reduced weight and size of the device. In addtion, as mentioned above, they will do less content development and more of content absorption, so a simple device capable of accessing online content is more than sufficient to meet their needs.

I teach fourth grade students. Our initial rollout of computers included mobile carts with full laptops. They are at end of life as are our desktops, and have been replaced by netbooks. I welcome the netbooks and, as you mention, the netbooks are easier to manage because of their smaller size. I would like to point out that even in elementary school the students do their share of content development and are expected more and more to take charge of their own learning. My choice would be to receive new desktops in additon to the netbooks. I do agree with you at the level you teach, more powerful laptops (with high speed internet access) are very important in meeting the needs of your students..

jorozcopbs@yahoo.com

I’m really starting to see the potential of the iPad in Education. I’m almost to the point where I can do almost all of my day-to-day activities on it. Some of these are the following:

• Taking notes with my styles just like a pad and pencil
                      • Presenting on it using Keynote
                      • Checking e-mail
                      • Capturing video and editing it with iMovie
                      • Printing my notes
                      • Taking pictures and using iPhoto
                      • Face time to connect with friends and family

I think for the price point, and the versatility of the iPad 2 we may see more of them in our classrooms. Time will tell.

• Re: Open Doors: Technology in Your Classroom

I would say at this point my door is only half open.  I am in week three of my class.  I must say that I am learning a lot!  The many tools are wonderful.  I teach kindergarten so I have been researching examples of projects in the lower elementary classrooms.  I am beginning to feel more comfortable and do have some ideas floating around.  

I have always been a progressive teacher, and as such, I had to try to open doors, numerous times against the will and edicts of a principal or two. The introduction of technology (esp the internet and then web 2.0) and then Intel Courses such as PBL helped to open my doors wider and keep them open.

Since I discovered what a ppt was in graduate school, I can't live without technology.  It has opened my eyes to such a fascinating world. There are so many tools out there that educators can use to motivate their students and to help them teach differentially.  I would say, it would be hard for me to live without my phone (with my email and texting), it helps keep me connected.  But as far as in the classroom, I would say I couldn't give up the IWB.

Technology definitely keeps my students more engaged just because I'm using something technological.  They are just so attracted to anything technological.  I LOVE Triptico!  I use it for choosing students to answer questions in class.  Students are actually more willing to participate when the computer chooses their name randomly.  I also use it to make student groups.  I have not had any complaints about their group members since I have used that.  They enjoy watching the computer as it puts them into groups.  They get more excited about working in groups that way.