4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 6:51 AM by Mahmoud Abdelaal

Tips for online facilitation of Elements courses

steveburt

What is your top tip or most successful strategy you'd recommend to a new facilitator of an online implementation of an Intel Teach Elements course?

• Re: Tips for online facilitation of Elements courses
          cgardne

I so believe to stay connected with the participants taking the courses.  Provide webinars, check in no less than weekly with each participant.  It helps build not only community but a true connection.  It's also important to keep in mind that those taking the courses may at some time run into some difficulties.  Staying in connection with them and working with them will build the opportunity for these participants to want to take an additional course.  It's that caring piece that all facilitators must have.

Steve, I absolutely agree with Carolyn, communication is the key to being successful, plus really knowing the material and trying to anticipate questions that the participants might have about the navigation of the Moodle environment.

I also reply to each participant in the "get to know you" portion of the course in Week 1.  It is so very important, as Carolyn mentioned, that you create that caring, non-threatening environment for the teachers.  Also, many of teachers I work with have never taken an online course, so navigation of the course is also very important.  We have considered having a webinar for anyone who is interested about navigating Moodle for the first time.  We're still working on that. 

Has anyone used a webinar to familiarize teachers about Moodle?

Neil

cgardne

Our beginning or orientation webinar address' how to get around within Moodle.  We also record those webinars and then post within the course, so that participants can replay if they need to.  We have also thought about just recording a webinar and then posting.  That has helped us a great deal.   We still have a few who even struggle with that and we continue to encourage them and have even called them on the phone and created a one to one learning moment, you might say.

Mahmoud Abdelaal

I've tried different ways for online facilitation . I tried wikis , blogs , back-channel chat ,etc... . But what most worked is creating a group or a page on FB. I ask the teachers to go though a lesson within a unit. Then I ask questions about the lesson on the FB group. At the end of the course, teachers send their action plans to my mail. This is the most successful model I tried.