12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2011 5:40 AM by contact@globalauthorship.org

How Do We Define the Next Generation of Technology and Tools? A conversation about Web 3.0.

blancaedu

In the very popular discussion started by Vanessa Jones "Is the world going Web 2.0?" members of the community shared evidence of how the world has embraced Web 2.0 tools and technology. They shared evidence in the media: CNN using Wordle, Media companies using Facebook and Twitter accounts; schools using Web 2.0 tools to elevate learning experiences; and government - even the White House has a Twitter chat!

The evidence of Web 2.0 in life today is prevalent and in countries lucky enough to have broadband and easily accessible Internet, Web 2.0 tools and technology are used by millions every day. Even though the outside world has many examples to point to, the inclusion of Web 2.0 tools in schools to facilitate learning has been sporadic. There are many reasons for this: policy, ignorance, money. But what of the world that continues? The world has already turned to other ways to connect people and offer them immersive and different experiences. What is the new generation of technology tools that I'm talking about? Is it called Web 3.0? Do we call it something different?

I'm asking as a community of learners, "How Do We, the Intel Community, Define the New Generation of Technology and Tools?" What does it look like? What can you do with it? What are you doing with it? and...what are the implications of this new technology in learning? Many of you live on the edge of technology - you are either technology buffs and/or avid bloggers. You like in the immersive worlds of Twitter and Facebook and use virtual technologies to engage your children when you can. So I'd like to know how YOU define IT. What does it look like, feel like? And what do we call it?

Looking forward to hearing your comments!

• Re: How Do We Define the Next Generation of Technology and Tools? A conversation about Web 3.0.
          glen_w

Blanca,

I'm going out on a limb with my definition. I think the next generation of Technology and Tools will be "tantamount" to thinking. Those who want a program to do something will be able to think of their desire and it will happen. This will require a significant shift in how material is input for computing purposes. I see something similar to the "mind meld" made famous by "Spock." What do you think? Am I out in left field?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: How Do We Define the Next Generation of Technology and Tools? A conversation about Web 3.0.
              blancaedu

Glen, I think you bring up a very interesting point; that the web is moving towards taking the input - the information that we are supplying it - our digital footprint for example - and yes, I think sometime down the road, we'll have chips maybe that allow our thoughts to be transmitted into action. But for now, I'm wondering how do you envision us getting there. In this "next" transition I mean. Does that make sense?

glen_w

I had this discussion with my students today. One young man argued that huimans will never control computers without tactile input. (He has a great vocabulary for a 7th grade boy!) Another boy said "It's going to be a hat we wear with a HUGE antenna on top - that's how we'll control the computers with our brains!" Personally, I think we are moving towards a tactile surface input - iPad / Tablet concept. These computers, however, need to have the ability to run the Thinking with Technology Tools for me to be happy. I'm disappointed the iPad can't be used for the tools yet.

blancaedu

Glen, it is exciting to live in a time where even youngsters can have a conversation about where techology is headed and be as accurate (or more accurate) than we can! That's the beauty about the world we live in. When I was a child we thought of the "future" as being something that would happen when we were 30 or 40 years old. Now, the future can change in an instant. Remember life before YouTube or Facebook?

I'm with you regarding the tools not being able to be used yet. There are ways around it though. The Lino app can be used to simulate part of what TWT can do for the time being. DIscussion forums can be used to explain thoughts further. It'd be worth exploring some alternatives in the meantime. Those are some powerful tools!

julesfischy

Blanca - thanks for getting this started. 

It really made me stop and think. 

For me I think that web 3.0 reminds me of online learning - anytime, anywhere, with anyone. A way to interact and engage with others through multiple tools and methods.  I really think that it can also look different from classroom to classroom and user to user because of the tools and devices used to achieve the goals.

I also asked my 16 year old if he knew what web 3.0 was and he looked at me like I was from mars  - so I think that students don't look at things with a name like web 3.0. But they definitely know about applications, and tools and devices that have enhanced or changed how they communicate with others.

I am looking forward to seeing other definitions

glen_w

Based on seeing the changes in Facebook recently and the start of Google+, I have come to a major conclusion. One is an example of redefining how we interact with others - the other has created frustration and moved some people to use the tool less. New technology and tools should make work easier and integrate easily with activities or work that teachers, students, or other people need to do.

What changes in online apps have you noticed that enhanced the use of that app?

blancaedu

Glen, you bring up a good point and a good question. I don't know if you have seen the new app called Splashtop Remote but it allows you to control your computer remotely from your smartphone or your iPad. It is AMAZING. Talk about tactile input. This is tactile input in virtual reality. I can control my big computer with my "mini" computer. It may not be a "big hat on my head" but it is COOOLLL!

I don't know if I'm answering your question correcly but one app that I've seen change since it began is StoryRobe. It's a digital storytelling tool that allows you to create a story from pictures on your iPhone, iPod or iPad. When I first used it it allowed you to take saved pictures (or take pictures) and put them into a timeline. Each picture allowed you to record your voice - a perfect tool for digital storytelling! After a while, a feature that I couldn't get to work originally, Share a Story, was fixed. Happy day! This feature allows you to share the story on YouTube or email it to someone. WIth the iPad app you can keep sharing stories and then take them and continue the story. Remixing is something that has changed in the last few years. It's so easy to take a product in a format and make it work and edit it in another.

This remixing feature, to me, was the start of the movement towards more powerful ways to use technology to interact.

The Wikipedia definition of Web 3.0 defines Web 3.0 as the semantic web and the ability to personalize the web experience.  The futurist John Smart says the move to 3D environments and virtual realities changed the way we as human interact with each other. Now people can manipulate objects in virtual worlds; web engines like Google can give you search listings based on preferences and past experience. Several technology "experts" define a portion of these abilities to even be Web 4.0- yikes! I think it is interesting that Julia's daughter response to what is Web 3.0 was huh? Children don't feel the need to qualify something that they see as "normal". Technology just is.

So I pose the following question to you and others: What do your students understand about technology and the future? Do they think about what is coming next? Do they spend time among themselves (or individually) thinking about ways to impact people with it...and do they call it something?  The next wave? The next generation? Are terms as important for them as they are for us? What do YOU think?

Wikipedia: Web 2.0   Web 3.0   Semantic Web

glen_w

I agree that my students do not think about what terms mean. I don't believe any of them know what Web 3.0 is or what it means. To these students - technology works for what they want to do ... or it does not. I think the more "remix" tools that are available the more excited students become. Most of my students are most interested in how they can "change" something to "make it their own."

I think the idea of StoryRobe's changes are incredible. The combination of everything into the "Share a Story" aspect sounds great. I've not tried it with students and have no personal experience.

• Next Generation
                          Bonnie Feather

I don't know if the next generation will be exclusively web-related...

I notice that I am moving more toward having one device which will do all that I need:  run apps (often web-based), communicate in text and sound, and images- live, reference information, take notes, carry documents, and so forth.  It seems our smartphones are becoming the way to go. 

Apart from science moving toward embedding such devices or capabilities- I've wanted a voice and button-activated memory chip installation in my body for decades now- I am thinking that we need big upgrades in energy use for these devices.  We need better batteries without adding heat and size and charging consumption of energy.

We have all gotten used to the idea of devices and web-based communications.  I am hoping for something really different- something I can't even imagine yet.  Telepathy, or the simulation of it through implanted devices?  Sign me up- I'll drink the Kool-Aid!

What about some sort of Artificial Intelligence that can scan through and digest the big ideas in all of the scientific research out there and provide recommendations on solving some of the world's largest issues and questions?  We need something that will help leaders to make decisions about going to war and making treaties and distributing food and clean water all over the world.  We need instruments that will scan bodies and detect disease, chomosomal abnormalities that can be positively affected, and ways to provide emotional support to humans.  (Yes, I used to watch Star Trek) 

We have come so far- let's not stop with things that are great new fun gadgets- let's tackle the BIG stuff!

Anyone?

~Bonnie

The reality of Web 3.0 is that it needs cohesion and organization from the bottom-up. Many of the present standards organizations have stalled on proposals for a Semantic Web. It is an inconvenient truth that major technology corporations chair key positions on standards symposiums and committees. The general public, and the Internet community, are wrapped up in the politics of creating change because of the weight of these large institutions, which are centralizing the Web. There is also significant bureaucracy and unnecessary red tape in the process. Combine that with the fact that key individuals base decisions on how protocols should evolve based on personal feelings and opinion (i.e., RESTFUL protocols should be "sessionless", in direct opposition to the foundation of Web 2.0, which relies on sessions and stateful services), and we have a stalled engine. The public should be informed on these issues, and, with the power of open source and social media, it will be possible to develop our own strategies and solutions which can be implemented. Ultimately, commercialization will drive the adoption of Web 3.0, and, a time will come when we have the choice to make the Web open again, or continue to allow a few key organizations to influence the standards and protocols we use. This video is just one proposal of a different kind of Web, one controlled by the public:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXvdjrBA9A

Thanks for your time.