59 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2015 7:40 PM by ProfWhitby

What is your sign?

Life is a highway...yeah I know it a song but it is a really good one. Our educational journeys are so different since we come from different schools, districts, states and countries. Pick a road sign that relates to you and your classroom/school and share your story.

My road sign would be ...

There are so many changes in technology and curriculum that my journey with teachers and students is never straight. I am always adapting ideas and strategies to address the changes and stay on top of my educational technology game. If I don't stay on the road then then I'll be taking too many pit stops or end up in the junk yard!

• Re: What is your sign?
          julesfischy

Susan- what a great discussion - I love that you made it visual! The first road sign that I found was one that had me thinking about the shifts in education - whole language back to the basics whole language.

curves_in_the_road.jpg

The second one I found was about sharing the road. I think that this one is pretty good- because as a teacher you have to teach your students about sharing - sharing the technology with each others, peers or sharing resorces with other educators or understanding that different teachers share and teach differently.  So this one I think has many meanings.

share_the_road.jpg

Excellent, like it

So glad yall like the post! I did this activity with teachers in a PD I conducted and it was so much fun. I shared it with one of my teachers and she used the road signs with the novel she was reading with her students (Touching spirit bear). She had them do a character analysis by drawing the road of the character (curvy, straight etc.) during the book and then they drew road signs for the milestones. They had to explain the road changes and signs. It was AMAZING! Could anyone use this activity in a classroom setting?

dgoodman_1958

Susan,

I love this discussion thread!  What a great way to connect to literature.  You'll never look at a sign the same way again.  I want to put a story behind a sign or attach the sign to something significant. 

I would think this activity would be great to use with a topic in history.  The road would be the timeline and the signs would describe the events that happened along the way.  I also think this would get students thinking at a deeper level when trying to connect signs in a way that would highight the significance of the event. 

Re: Could anyone use this activity in a classroom setting?

susangauthier This is so creative and would definitely add to the class discussion.  I also like how Deborah Goodman mentioned the use of a timeline and event markers . . .

I'll certainly explore this further!

~Annette

dgoodman_1958

Julia, I love the "Share the road" sign.  I'm always saying, we are all in this together.  The journey we are all on is much more enjoyable when you have someone to share it with.  As with any journey, there are wrong turns, bumps along the way and rerouted roads.  To me, that is what makes the jouney enjoyable.  You never know what you're going to happen upon. 

Hi susan

I like this discussion, want to share my sign:)

download1.jpg

No U Turn

As you said that there are so many changes in technology and curriculum so in my journey there is no U turn,I have great difficulty saying no. I’m now in a position where there’s so many wonderful challenges still to be tackled.It was challenges that took us from being cavemen to reaching for the stars.See every difficulty as a challenge, a stepping stone, and never be defeated by anything or anyone. I dont loose my heart and never go back, when i faced challanges. I tried to solve these problems by  using 21st century skills.

glen_w

Susan,

What a fantastic question and discussion!  I am unable to single out just one sign. I have two signs that I think represent technology and me.

The first is: http://www.recyclereminders.com/img/md/X/Divided-Road-Highway-Sign-X-W6-1.gif because I feel technology allows me to divide assignments up in ways allowing students to feel greater confidence. It also represents the challenge of trying to make sure that differentiated instruction truly is headed the direction I intended it to go.

My second sign is: http://icons.mysitemyway.com/wp-content/gallery/yellow-road-sign-icons-transport-travel/041675-yellow-road-sign-icon-transport-travel-spaceship2-sc43.png because I feel technology truly launches my students into new ways of learning and showing their understanding. (You knew I had to include a science sign - right?)

A wonderful discussion i like to integrate this sign often in my daily duties as ST

which i  gathered  means that be independent  and dont wait for any one for help or support.

sadiasyed

If life is a highway then it should open for many ways

Yield sign.jpg

Here's why I chose a yield sign:

It could be because we yield the right of way to our students, but the real reason is this...

One of my early homework assignments in math includes a table the students have to complete. I give an object and they write the polygon shape(s) associated with it (ex. snowflake, soccer ball, The Pentagon, honeycomb, stop sign, YIELD SIGN).

When we go over the homework in class, we talk more about each of these items. I always ask the colors of the stop sign and the yield sign. Every student says correctly that stop signs are red and white. But, curiously, almost every student (perhaps 90%), every year, says that yield signs are yellow and black. There are some yellow and black yield signs out there, but they haven't been yellow and black since 1971. The vast majority of yield signs are red and white. I'm still amazed at this. I've suggested to my students that someone do a science fair project related to this to perhaps shed some light on this phenomenon.

You got me Eric! Call me KOO KOO Krazy but I was imagining yellow/black as I read your post even though I was looking at the pic. What an interesting connection to a sign.

Community members-please share more signs because now I am intrigued with your selection

This is a fantastic activity.  I know of a HS Life Skills class that has to actually learn the signs but what an extension lesson this could be.  I will definately suggest this to the teacher.  I had to think really hard about my sign and here it is because this is kind of how I feel right now. I went from one position to doing consultant work for many different people.  I am definately thinking about using this activity as an icebreaker for one of my online classes. Thanks!

lcsheehy

I just couldn't resist this sign!

Some days I control the techology and some days...

Picture 5.png

glen_w

When I saw this sign, it reminded me how I felt this past Friday. It was the end of our term. I had students coming in at breaks all day long to turn in "missing work." I was so tired after the experience and wondered why.

Now I know ...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/Rukt4jzvoYI/AAAAAAAAIag/2cvGfx1Bgfs/s400/funny_road_signs_039.jpg

Ok so now that we have started a new year...what road sign represents you and your resolutions. I start school tomorrow so my sign looks like...

Slow-Road-Sign-378px-300x300.gif

holmesg

There are so many responsibilites in the classroom that relate to these signs.  Teachers have to create resources, slow down to engage a variety of learning styles while stopping to assess and reflect along the way.  Parking is not an option.  After assessing students, the assessment data must be used to create strategies for designing activities for reteaching, providing students opportunities to demonstrate mastery through projects and connecting with professional learning networks for professional growth.

Great idea!  I think my sign would need to be:      .  It is too easy to get comfortable with the same routine, day after day, falling back on standard lectures, repetitive practice - snore.  I need to keep my lessons moving forward, full of energy and purpose!

road sign.jpg

Plan on things not always going smoothly in your classroom, with your kids, and especially when you are working with technology.

However, always be prepared for the bumps!!

Bonnie Feather

002.JPGThere wasn't much else around.  There wasn't even a dirt road to turn on.  I passed the sign, then did a U Turn on the 2-lane highway to snap this shot.  I just could not resist.  I keep it posted at my desk, and it reminds me that we don't know what the future holds or necessarily how we'll get there, but the road goes on, and I'm on it.  I don't know what's to the right, but there's something there, and maybe I'll learn about it someday.

dgoodman_1958

round about.png

This is my sign on some days.  I feel like I'm going in circles.

Here's what I think of when reflecting on the educational journey I've been on.  If you're in education long enough you'll see things come and go and come around again. 

dgoodman_1958

Be Prepared to Stop.png

We are surely on the fast track in education.  With the new Common Core and Essential Standards along with the ever-changing technology, we need to be prepared to stop, assess, plan and rethink at times.  

holmesg

Deborah,

We are definitely on the fast track.  In addition to the common core and essential standards, teachers must become intimate with the Professional Teaching Standards as well as become comfortable with Revised Blooms Taxonomy, Problem based learning, Real world lessons and the list goes on.  I am sure next year teachers will feel as though they are going in circles as well.  What strategies are your schools implementing to make this shift in teaching and learning better for students and teachers.

drowning.JPGThis was how I felt at the end of the day today.  I was drowning in error messages!  Most days, I think this represents myself and my school very well. We are truly working to show our students and community the way out.

This Way Out.jpg

These are excellent signs Brent! I saw this on facebook and could not stop laughing...I wonder if this is what a math/science teacher's sign would look like....

glen_w

I'm not sure if it qualifies or not ... but, this sign is going up on my door for the coming school year.

Superpower.jpg

lwenske

i'm so glad that you posted this, glen, b/c the first thing that came to my mind was also something that was not quite a road sign, but still interesting, nonetheless.  i found this gem when i was searching for other unrelated resources online a few weeks ago, and i do love it...    in a humorous way, of course.

tchr_clprt.jpg

glen_w

Lisa,

You are correct ... I should have used a real road sign. I was thinking of my door for the coming year and thought I'd share. By the way, I just discovered a Road Sign making app for iOS!

How might using a road sign making tool help students demonstrate their understanding better?

lwenske

glen, actually, i was glad you shared something a bit different, as that allowed me to feel okay in sharing something that is a bit different, myself.  i think yours is perfect!  thanks for sharing the app, as well, as it's a cool way to have students be creative (allowing even different interpretations of concepts/relevant points) in sharing their thinking/understanding about particular topic. 

glen_w

Lisa,

You should be warned ... I  march to the beat of a different drummer. Following me may lead you away from what everyone has been telling you to do for years. Personally, I like trying to change things up personally and professionally. I often have former students visit my classroom and exclaim "we didn't do that when I was in your class. That's NOT FAIR!" I hope to always be able to modify my teaching to become better.

Now to figure out how I can have students create science signs ...

lwenske

But, if I had to choose a road sign, I found this one to be great...  (many of you have used some extremely wonderful ideas...and i felt like i was copying many of you each time i found something)...so something different:

Funny-Road-Signs-003.jpeg

The reason I like this one, is b/c of the interesting possible un-intended outcome:  the animals might get sick, if they eat you...  This reminds me of how often students come up with something entirely different than where I was going with a quesiton, comment or scenario.  It always is a wake-up call for me, that maybe we're not always on the same page, and I need to be careful with how I phrase and communicate particular thinking...

I love this idea for character analysis.  It also represents how I am feeling about trying to incorporate more technology in the classroom.  I find that I am using it more and more, but I also feel strongly about keeping the human component as well.

Road Sign.jpg

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I  thought long on my journey and refreshed painful things and happy things, but I smiled at the end and my sign is

Rubina Jahangir

facilitate students to make them global technology learners.

These days, I'm finding there is so much to learn, so much to explore, and so little time.    Just when I think I'm ahead of the curve, I find myself wishing I had more time to do this, and more time to do that . . . 

Annettes Sign.png