23 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 3:54 PM by glen_w

FREE 50 GB Cloud Storage!!!

glen_w

In addition to Dropbox (which I have used for years) I have a Box account. By default, the free "Personal" box is limited to 5 GB. I just learned that through December 2, 2011 - if you download, install and log into your Box account from an "app" that space is increased to 50GB (lifetime!) The app can be downloaded from your favorite "app store" (iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone or android device.) After you log into the device app, you get a message of the "instant upgrade." Like Dropbox, Box allows you to share files and people can share links to those files.

How do you see this option transforming personal devices in the education field? How can this benefit you and the teachers you work with? How will this benefit your students?

Please share your ideas and get the word out to fellow educators of this awesome opportunity.

• Re: FREE 50 GB Cloud Storage!!!

Your subject line drew me in like a moth to a flame. LOVE it! I have used dropbox thanks to you. We use dropbox with our netbooks. We have about 300 in the school and I worked with the techs this year to take all of them off the network due to limited space. They were running so slow with the large district image. The teachers had a fit when I told them they only could access Office and the Internet. How do we save things if we don't have a shared ...do we have to get flashdrives to keep in the classroom??? and that is where the beauty of dropbox came into my life. They love dropbox. Each netbook teacher has an account and she has the students upload that hour and then edits the password after each class so the students do not have permanent access to the account. We just got a classroom set of 30 ipads for the school and I heard them complaining about getting files onto the ipad like images for keynote and of course dropbox has an app so now they are addicted. I will definitely look into box because the more the merrier. Thanks for sharing!

glen_w

Susan,

I'm always glad to help you and fellow educators with tools like Dropbox and Box. This opportunity was too good to not share. In the short time I've played with Box, I have been thrilled with how easy it is to use. It is possible to connect a computer to your "box" as a network drive. I set up my computer to do this and the drive automatically connects whenever I log into the computer. SWEET! This makes Box as easy to use as the Dropbox app or shared folder. Please let us know how Box works for you.

perkinsde

Thank you for sharing this info, Glen! It's so valuable to have the files I need at my fingertips via Dropbox when training in various locations. 50 GB with Box just dramatically increased the possibilities!. It was quick, easy, and immediately showed up in my account. You rock!

This is a great tool for sharing files with teachers we're training across the US. I also agree with Susan. Dropbox and Box are both great alternatives to shared drives on already overloaded district servers. Another advantage over shared district folders is that teachers and students won't have to be at school to access or share files.

Now that I think of it, Glen, you were the genius that shared Dropbox with me too! Thanks again!

Thanks Glen that was a totally new information for me .

Thanks for the great tip. The :h drive and :s drive (shared drives) at school were great when they came out. Google docs and wikis are fantastic for sharing, access, and collaboration. The "Cloud" and Box and others like it just make sharing, collaboration, and access that much greater. Don't know how I can get along without it now.

glen_w

I agree on how important shared drives are at school. I agree with you on how we have "evolved" our "need" for cloud apps and storage. I like the advantage of access anywhere/anytime that cloud drives provide us. I'm wondering what new storage option we will find in the future and how it might change our current thinking about file storage...

I just used box today...have you? A student teacher had her teaching video on a computer that did not have a burner on it (and she deleted off the flip camera). It was too big for our shared and to email. We had a flashdrive but again it wasn't big enough (and no external hard drive at school). She created a box account and oh yeah...we got the file to a new computer. Box to the rescue!

glen_w

Yes, I have used my Box account! I, however, do not have a fun story about how it "saved the day" like you did with the student teacher . I can only imagine how helpful it will be for her to continue to have access to that video from any computer anytime in the future. Awesome story - thanks so much for sharing it. (Also thanks for continuing to mentor new teachers in technology!)

Another site I was reading about today....http://forgetbox.com/ Forget Box is a not a web app, you do have to install the free Forget Box software on your desktop. With Forget Box installed, right-click on the file(s) you want to share, select a contact from your address book, and send off the file. Any takers? Let us know what you think.

OK, you've piqued my curiosity. I'm gonna' check out forgetbox as well. I report back soon. Thanks.

holmesg

I have been using box on my Ipad as well as my lap top.  I have students create artifacts to demonstrate mastery of a lesson taught and drop it in box to share and get peer feedback from classmates.

More file storage options can be found here Free Technology for Teachers: 15 Free Tools for Storing and Sharing Files - Since this thread is old ...how has storage changed? Is Dropbox still the best thing out there for you? What fits your storage needs? Check out the sites in the article and share your favorites!

glen_w

My school team has been using Google Drive now for about a year. The downside is that only 5GB is available for free. The upside is that any document created in Drive does NOT count towards your limit. You can also convert uploaded documents to Google Docs and they no longer count against your limit. Our team has organized folders and sub-folders in Drive that allow us to quickly navigate and find items we use for our classes. Our students  are on a different domain and so they must "share" files with teachers. It, however, has been fun to see student excitement as they realize they are in charge of making sure their teacher can see the work done.

I'm interested in hearing who else is using Drive and how you use it collaboratively.