3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 5:16 PM by glen_w

Is Cloud Computing really the answer?

I just finished reading an article on the InfoWorld website about cloud computing.  Here is a quote from the article. "Cloud computing comes into focus only when you think about what IT always needs: a way to increase capacity or add capabilities on the fly without investing in new infrastructure, training new personnel, or licensing new software. Cloud computing encompasses any subscription-based or pay-per-use service that, in real time over the Internet, extends IT's existing capabilities".  What struck me initially was how many IT departments, at least in the education world, seem to NOT want to use it.

My question, in this day of tight budgets and staff lay-offs, what is so unappealing to many districts that they do not even consider using the cloud to help the teachers and students.  What can we do, as educators, to help break down these barriers so that more students and teachers will have access to the best the net has to offer?  Are we afraid to venture outside our own little universe? 

Here is the link to the complete article.  http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/what-cloud-computing-really-means-031?page=0,1

Any thoughts?

Neil